APS Installer replacement?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by DrMartinus, Jul 31, 2022.

1. DrMartinus

DrMartinus Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

one client used the APS installer and complained that it wasn't available any longer. I checked and found the following:
    It seems that after the last update of ISP-Config, this APS Installer has been disabled in the global config. In the System/Main Config section there is a notice: "APS will be removed from the panel in the near future."
    I checked the linked information page, where there are messages from up to one year ago. The goal seems to be to provide a replacement, which would be necessary in my opinion. But it seems that this replacement isn't available yet? I didn't find any info about it, at least. Looking here for "APS" in the top right search box gives absolutely no result. What's the status?

2. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

We have neither found a developer who is willing and able to develop a new installer for ISPConfig yet (as APS packages and format are not available anymore, that's why we were forced to remove the installer) plus develop and continuously maintain dozens of packages for cms systems (which would require working hundreds of hours free of charge per year) nor a company that is willing to sponsor this so we could hire developers doing this. Therefore, there is no replacement for the APS packages yet. But there are commercial alternatives available that support ISPConfig like the installer from softaculous.

4. DrMartinus

Thanks for the info. I just had a look at Softaculour, i.e. I visited the webpage, and it says there is a free license with 38 scripts. I have no idea what those 38 scripts cover, but it would be reasonable to try it out, I think, so I will do that. In case you want to do that, too, we can share experiences... :)

5. DrMartinus

Ok, I just found the list of the apps which are available in the free version. There are packages for many different purposes, but none of them is known to me. Anyway I will check if it can be integrated into ISPConfig, or if for that purpose it needs a commercial licence.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

They have instructions on their website on how to install it on an ISPConfig system, if I remember correctly. Their devs contacted me in the past from time to time when they had questions about ISPConfig integration. Personally, I don't use their software, so I can not recommend it from my own experience. But you should find various posts on that topic here in the forum. But as far as I know, their free version is just a teaser by excluding all frequently used CMS like WP from it, so if you would want to use it, you would probably have to buy one of their licenses anyway.

7. DrMartinus

Yes, that's what I have gathered from their website so far. I had the silent hope that it would be possible to look into the scripts and create own ones, but that's not possible, because they load the scripts on the fly from their server. The whole software is encrypted and works only with IonCube. That makes the whole thing a bit suspicious to me (reaching out to foreign servers and the like...). I will think it over.