APS package installer only uses root user

Discussion in 'General' started by SimoneTarantino, Jun 8, 2020.

1. SimoneTarantino

SimoneTarantino New Member

Hello,
    Every time I install a new package using the APS installer, it installs correctly but always uses the user root and not the assigned domain user.
    Is anyone having the same issue and, how did you solve it?
    Thanks
    Simone

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, packages get installed by the root user by the current installer. There is no way to change that except of writing a new installer. The APS installer gets removed anyway in the next release as apscatalog is end of life since quite some time, so there are no up to date packages available anymore.

3. SimoneTarantino

SimoneTarantino New Member

Hey Till, thank you for the reply, but it was not like that before.
    I mean when I install a Wordpress (example) via APS for one of my domains, the installer used to install it as admin for that domain
    now it's installing it as user root so the domain user cannot update, add, modify anything
    not sure what has changed, or if I am doing something wrong

4. till

The installer has not been changed, the installation procedure was always run as root and during installation, the installer changes the installed files to the web user of the site, so not sure why it does not change the files on your system to the right user. It works this way for more than 6 years. But as mentioned above, the installer gets removed in the next version anyway as there are no updated packages available for it anymore.

5. elmacus

elmacus Active Member

@SimoneTarantino
    APS installer works for me, so the code is correct.
    Maybee your client is added as root user ( user 1 group 1 ) ?
    Is it Multiserver ?

@till is there any new system that would work with ISPconfig that you have planned or should we just buy Softaculous or similar ? (Softaculous does not support Multi Server setup of ISPConfig Panel yet.)
    Actually, we only need just a installer for Wordpress, thats it. Sorry for hijacking thread ;-)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  6. till

The problem are actually the packages. I'm not aware of any other freely available package source which could replace apscatalog and planning a new installer without having any packages or at least a plan how to get some packages makes not much sense, as I'm not able to build a bunch of app packages beside maintaining ISPConfig. But there are some discussions going on here: https://www.howtoforge.com/communit...n-and-support-of-the-available-package.81884/
    If we could form a group of package maintainers and agree on a simplified package format (APS is quite complicated and over-engineered in my opinion as it covers also windows apps) then we should be able to cover at least the widely used cms systems with a new installer.

7. elmacus

elmacus Active Member

@till starting simple with only wordpress is ok, then adding one a time with voting popular, i would contribute money to developing.

8. till

I think I'll be able to look into building a new app installer after 3.1.16 is released. I'll expect that 3.1.16 gets finished this month, we probably have the first beta next week. If there are some users that might be able to contribute some money, then this would allow me to dedicate some extra time into this as I'll always have to split my time between things that earn me a living and ISPConfig development.

Th0m and elmacus like this.