Are website backups created "every time" or conditional to changed data?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by invino, Oct 10, 2018.

1. invino

invino Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hey,

I have a simple question: are website backups created every time, without consideration for changed files (or data for MySQL DB)?
    I'm asking this because I'm seeing "holes" in my backups and I wanted to make sure it's because it checks wether there has been changes before backing up again.

Thanks!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The backups are created by time, so there should be a backup for each scheduled backup time.

3. invino

Thanks Till,

Where can I check for errors? I looked into /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log but everything looks OK.

4. invino

OK I've just discovered there is a script for debugging cron. Nice!
    Code:
    php /usr/local/ispconfig/server/cron_debug.php --cronjob=500-backup.inc.php
    I'm going to try this and see what's happening :)

5. invino

OK, so my data is a bit too heavy I suppose because I lost connection from my terminal. Anyway, I can't see anything special either in ispconfig/cron.log or in main syslog...

I noticed something weird though: in my tmp/ folder, I have huge temporary files (2 files of exactly 75.4 Gb + a new one of 9 Gb which has been genererated by my test) still present in this tmp/ folder. What does it mean?

6. till

Probably your test got interrupted which cause the temp files to stay. remove them manually now. Then you should try to set a different temp folder for the backups under system > server config, it might be that the system /tmp directory runs out of space sometimes which then causes the backup to fail.

7. invino

The temp folder is on a NFS export with 600 Gb free so I doubt there is not enough space :)
    I just removed the 2 big temp files and I'm seeing the 9Gb changing! This means cron_debu.php is still running, right?

8. till

yes.

9. invino

OK cool. Still in progress then...

Where should I see errors popping out?

10. till

Probably on the shell where you run the test.

11. invino

Hmmm... this means I won't see anything as I lost my connection. OK, let's wait for the end of this backup. Still running...

12. till

You might better run the next attempt inside screen command.

13. invino

I'm not familiar with this screen command. I might need to check this out.

OK, now the temp file is blocked at 75.4Gb as before... Backup stopped at 13:59 and I have this in syslog:
    Code:
    Oct 10 14:00:01 invino CRON[15929]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/ispconfig/server/cron.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done)
    Oct 10 14:00:01 invino CRON[15930]: (root) CMD (  ^Icheck-valvulad.py)
    Oct 10 14:00:01 invino CRON[15932]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/rtm/bin/rtm 26 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null)
    Oct 10 14:00:01 invino CRON[15933]: (getmail) CMD (/usr/local/bin/run-getmail.sh > /dev/null 2>> /dev/null)
    Oct 10 14:00:01 invino CRON[15934]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh 2>&1 | while read line; do echo `/bin/date` "$line" >> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log; done)
    Oct 10 14:00:01 invino CRON[15931]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/maldetect/maldet --mkpubpaths >> /dev/null 2>&1)
    Oct 10 14:00:01 invino CRON[15939]: (www-data) CMD (/var/tmp/gHXxzKRgT >/dev/null 2>&1)

And in ispconfig/cron.log :
    Code:
    Wed Oct 10 13:59:01 EDT 2018
    Wed Oct 10 13:59:01 EDT 2018
    Wed Oct 10 13:59:01 EDT 2018 finished.
    Wed Oct 10 14:00:01 EDT 2018
    Wed Oct 10 14:00:01 EDT 2018

What do you think?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  14. till

I guess the cron log entries are not related to the problem.

15. invino

That's what I'm thinking too...

I was wondering if this had to do with filesize limitation, but the NFS share is hosting a file of 235Gb so it doesn't make sense either.

I'm going to move my tmp/ folder under /home and see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for your insight anyway!

16. invino

Hey Till,

I just checked this morning and backups are done perfectly this time, using the new temp folder right on the server! Looks like the NFS share was posing a problem with the ZIP function at one point, when the filesize was reaching a limit. 75.4Gb was the limit for me. I've no idea yet why it's doing this but I will look for further information, just for the sake of understanding.

I'll come back here and post by findings ;-)