Audio CDs no longer recognized on Fedora 11

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by Bad2theBone, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Bad2theBone

Bad2theBone New Member

When I had originally installed Fedora 11 both my DVD-ROM & DVD-RAM could recognize an audio CD. I was able to play them or rip them, or even dup them. All of a sudden, in the last week and a half they no longer recognize audio cds. No problems with any other media (data cds & dvds, dvd movies). I suspect an update "broke" something, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Any errors in your logs?

3. Bad2theBone

Bad2theBone New Member

Errors from syslog

I found that I'd been receiving the following errors simce I started running F 11, although there wasn't any indications of a problem until recently.

kernel: sr 4:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE,SUGGEST_OK
    kernel: sr 4:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
    kernel: sr 4:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
    kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
    kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1
    kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2
    kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 3
    kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 4
    kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 5
    kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 6
    kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 7

4. Bad2theBone

Bad2theBone New Member

Update to audio cd problem

It appears that it is strictly an OS recognition problem in that it no longer places an icon on the desktop when an audio cd is put into one of the drives. It also seems that Rhythmbox also has a problem in that it too does not "see" a player with an audio cd in it. However, I am able to play the cd in Grip as well as rip it. Once it is ripped and encoded (I use flac encoding), Rhythmbox is able to import the files into my library. I am right now copying the same cd using Brasero. As I only rip & dupe my originals, never normally play them, it is not a real problem for me. I don't know if there are other players that also may not "see" the audio cd unless the OS does though.

5. giantmonster

giantmonster New Member

re:

this exactly what I have been facing for the past couple of days..... good to know that im not alone having this issue... lolz

6. Bad2theBone

Bad2theBone New Member

Problem seems to have been resolved

If you're running Fedora 11, there have been a number of updates that seemed to have resolved this problem. My icon now appears and Rhythmbox sees and plays the cd as they also had a couple of updates since. You may want to make sure that you have all of the updates installed. Also I haven't noticed any comments that indicate any problems with this in Fedora 12 which I plan to install soon.

7. rav098

rav098 New Member

same probs i m facing tooo

8. Bad2theBone

Bad2theBone New Member

If you guys are still running F11, F12 does not have this problem. The one issue that I've seen is when you go to eject media it sometimes closes the drawer right away. I've found that you have to wait a couple of seconds to make sure that it'll stay open before removing your media, then just hit the eject button right away (the physical one, not the soft one) if it does close.

9. heliopaixao

heliopaixao New Member

selinux was the problem

Dear guys,

I believe that the problem was caused by update on selinux*. My selinux was already disabled. After the system stopped to play any sound I have enable selinux permissive and rebooted machine to make it labeled the system properly. This action did the sound works again. In my case I have disabled selinux again and everything is working well now.

heliopaixao