auto installer script

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by pakogah, Jul 13, 2010.

1. pakogah

pakogah New Member

perhaps this feature has been asking by others, but I dont know.
    I wish there is an auto installer script that can run on ispconfig like what fantastico/installatron/softaculous can ran on cpanel/directadmin

Softaculous developer seems very nice and try to make as many as possible script can be installed on various panel.
    http://www.softaculous.net/

Other options is simplescript, it's free, hosted installed on their servers but can integrated well with many panel. hopefully ispconfig and simplescript developer can works each others.
    http://www.simplescripts.com/webhost

below is list of script supported by simplescript
    http://www.simplescripts.com/script_list

2. jmontoya

jmontoya ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Those scripts doesn't have a GPL license

3. jmontoya

I will create something like this for install drupal (this is just an example)

Add a new remoting function that will install an open source package:

remoting::installDrupal($session_id, $client_id, $web_id, $params) {

//1. Create the database
    //2. Copy drupal files in the client web
    //3. Execute a script that will install drupal with the current $params
    //4. Done

}

What do you think of this idea?

I wish to know what do you think about installing open source software (by deman) to client websites?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think a package installer should be more generic:

1) Define a package installer format.
    2) Create a universal package installer function and repository that is able to execute and installe the packages in the format defined in 1) into the websites.

A remoting function is only a wy to insert data into the mysql database on the master server, it can not execute any code to install software on the slave that runs the webserver. A package installer would have to be implemented as server side module plus a corresponding database table and some inteface forms to select the software that shall be installed in the website module.

5. jmontoya

Hello till and thanks for your reponse.

So what you mean is to create a new plugin here: (just an example)

server/plugins-available/installer_plugin.inc.php

Here I will create all the functions (install, uninstall a drupal/wordpress/etc to a client) to manage the "universal package installer format"?

Some UI will be useful as you said to manage that.

Then with the remoting class, I just add a new record in the DB saying "I will create a drupal site in the site id = 1".

And finally the server.sh cron file will be executed and install the site.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

6. till

Basically yes. But the remoting api is not used for this at all. The remoting API is a API for third party applications that are not part of ISPConfig, e.g. billing systems, to read and add data in the ispconfig database. You never use the remoting API for functions in the ispconfig interface or server part as you use local functions and librarys for this.

7. jmontoya

I guess I forgot to said that I'm doing a plugin for thehostingtool a.k.a THT (third party open source software billing system, etc ) to integrate it with ISPConfig 3.

So THT will called the remoting ISPConfig3 functions.

8. till

Then you might have to add remoting function as well beside the local function to install packages from within ISPConfig.

9. jmontoya

Great! I will write a proposal and then I will ask for suggestions, etc.

10. Horfic

Horfic Member

11. jmontoya

Great I read some about the apsstandard.org seems to be open and free. It comes from a Non profit organization. It sounds good. I will read the documentation to adopt it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  12. WebDev

WebDev New Member

any news about this? is this going to be implemented?

or this feature already exists by installing a plugin?

13. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

We are working on it.

14. SupuS

SupuS Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi falko,

it is great news for me. Would it be possible to automate upgrade by using this new tool? Especially Joomla has quite easy way to upgrade by installing patch only. Some other need sql patch too but upgrade is straightforward also. Could you add this tool to roadmap please? :)

SupuS

15. pakogah

pakogah New Member

aefer free from softaculous

Okay I found the answer of my question. perhaps you / your client can use aefer from softaculous which is free.

http://www.aefer.com/

or you can use http://www.simplescripts.com/

But again if Softaculous can work properly with ISPconfig would good too. :D
    or other installer would be great.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  16. jwarnier

jwarnier ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

From what I understand, Aefer is only going to put the files in place, while we need a full automated installation, e.g. fill in the database with sensible data related to the customer (starting from the default language).

17. defconjuan

defconjuan New Member

As always, thanks falko. Great product.

Until then, people may want to checkout a description of an amped up ISPConfig3 perfect server build tweaked with Drupal dependencies, Drush, AEGIR, Git, Webmin, etc. (http://howtoforge.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53188)

The automatic build script will be released in the next few days for anyone wanting to test or review it to see which tweaks are made during the build.

18. atomlab

atomlab New Member

Hi.
    The script is already accessible?
    Where it is possible to take script for the test?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  19. rushpower

rushpower New Member

I guess this never went anywhere.

20. patjec

patjec New Member

I think the billing module was more important.