Automated backups

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by MathieuMa, Oct 25, 2007.

1. MathieuMa

MathieuMa New Member

Hi,

I have automated backups running everynight (the ones build-in in ISPConfig) - which are then sent do an ftp server with other stuffs (database backups, configs and so on) by another script.

I was wondering why one of my site could not be backed up - and it seems that I've reached over 2Gb of compressed datas for it.
    The backup script uses zip - which don't handle files larger than 2Gb.

Is there an easy way to change that ? (ie : use bzip2 or tgz)
    I'm not sure zip is used elsewhere, if so I would just change the path to it for bzip2 in the config and maybe some cli options in the backup script - doing that would be ok ?

To finish, changing that backup format would be a good idea I suppose :)

Thanks, Mathieu

2. erebus

erebus New Member

I am not quite sure that the ZIP format supports only 2 GBs of data because I can confirm that I use zip files of up to 12 GBs for sure (not created with linux's zip program though -- haven't tested).

If I were you, I would try to manually compress a big folder with the zip program and if that fails because of the size, try to find another binary, version, whatsoever to compress in ZIP format that could do the trick.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It will work if you change it in the backup.php script directly. You should not change it in config.inc.php as the zip program is also needed to install the webmail packages and is used for the user side backup tool.