automated install niggles (lesson learned)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Curtis Maurand, Apr 21, 2023.

1. Hello,
    I just tried the automated install on a debian bullseye system. All was going well right up to the end when it tried to do quota things. I had installed the system using BTRFS. Don't do that. ispconfig automated install doesn't like modern filesystems. use ext4 (the archaic file system.) BTRFS has it's own quota tools.(btrfs quota enable/disable/rescan)

Also, why does it wait until the end of the install to install haveged which is for randomness when generating csr, keys and certs after it's done all that work on csr's, keys and certs? Whenever I do the perfect server manually, I've always installed that near the beginning before I start generating and signing keys.

Thanks,
    Curtis

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

BTRFS still does not support per-user quota. We can't use it in ISPConfig until they add support for that. Waiting for years that they add it to be able to add BTRFS in ISPConfig, but they still have not implemented it yet, as far as I know. So it's not that ISPConfig does not like modern filesystems, as you falsely claimed. It is the lack of a basic per-user quota feature in BTRFS that prevents its use.

It gets installed before it is needed to generate the SSL certs for ISPConfig. The SSL certs get created by ISPConfig itself, not by the auto-installer, so it's perfectly fine to install haveged towards the end.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  3. Thanks for the information. A little more research shows that BTRFS only enforces folder level quotas and those need to be subvolumes. Ah well. One of these days there will be a modnern copy on write file system that supports quotas. sadly, ext4 is not it.