Automatic FTP user creation

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by kotakomputer, May 14, 2010.

1. kotakomputer

kotakomputer New Member

Dear,

Since Control Panel has to provide an instant access to client then ISPConfig should be:

1. Automatic create FTP user when we add new user. This FTP user uses same username and password.
    2. PREFIX should be [CLIENTNAME]_ (with 'underscore')
    3. Automatic create CLIENTNAME from 8 chars of Domain Name, e.g: kotakomputer.com then CLIENTNAME is kotakomp
    4. Support script installation (called as Fantastico in CPanel)

IMPORTANT!!!!
    The installation process of ISPConfig need to improve, ISPConfig should automatic install required applications, such as: postfix, mysql, apache.

Above task should be available because ALL POPULAR CONTROL PANELS already provide it, such as: CPanel and DirectAdmin.

Regards

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Then use these popular control panels and pay for them if its so important for you or contribute the missing features to ispconfig.

3. ivomendonca

ivomendonca Banned

Wellcome to opensource industy!. No Pain no Gain.

4. mike_p

mike_p Member

Don't think for one moment that those popular (and EXPENSIVE!) panels are bug free.

I am just migrating sites from a server with DirectAdmin and found that if you suspend an account, Apache fails to restart! (You then have to manually edit the main httpd.conf and comment out the include line for the suspended account.)

In comparison, ISPConfig has a far superior system of controlling a directory containing links to the individual vhost configuration files.

And unless things have changed, YOU don't install DirectAdmin: you give them the login and they install it for you. (Or their reseller does)

5. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

I don't like the automatic creation of FTP-accounts and if there will be such feature in next releases, i do hope you can switch it off or on.
    What i do like about ISPConfig is that it gives you so much control.
    For example it's really nice that clients can make their FTP-accounts active or inactive, because the FTP-protocol is not the safest one.

6. ressel

ressel Member

I must agree with Hans, i don't want automatic creation of ftp accounts.

Not all my customers does use ftp, many of them get their CMS installed by me, and that's often enough for them.

7. waibaihuo

waibaihuo New Member

Yes. Agree.

8. arcain6

arcain6 New Member

The fact is, this portion of the forum was put here so the developers and contributors can get an idea of what features the end users would like to see. While i don't agree that this feature should be implemented, i do feel that it was posted in the proper place. And his reasoning and examples for requesting the feature were valid.

The fact that this is a " feature request " thread, means he should be able to " request " without being flamed by a " super moderator "

This type of attitude is NOT appreciated by anyone in the opensource community, and serves absolutely no purpose other than to be disrespectful.

I personally feel the response should have been a lot more diplomatic.
    :eek:

9. mike_p

mike_p Member

In my opinion the tone of the OP's post was very rude. People who spend thousands of hours without pay creating an open-source product do not deserve to be treated rudely like that.

If the OP had actually made a simple feature request there would not have been a problem. He didn't say "he'd love to see this feature" or "please could you include this feature". No, he said "ISPConfig should.." and "ISPConfig need to improve". Where you say "This type of attitude is NOT appreciated by anyone in the opensource community, and serves absolutely no purpose other than to be disrespectful. " - that should apply to the OP, NOT to the people he started being rude to.

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

@Arcain6. Please see which part I quoted in my answer. My reaction was not about the feature request of a automatic FTP user creation which is absolutely fine. My answer was about the last 2 sentences, the lines that I quoted. As you might know, writing a sentence in uppercase means "shouting" it and my answer was just the reaction on his try to pressure the ispconfig developers.