Automatic log out after 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions' started by Taleman, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Since about a week I get logged out from this forum after about 5 minutes, even when I am writing a post or actively browsing forums and threads. Previously the time was much longer. This 5 minutes is very annoying, but I can not find a setting in preferences to make it longer. There is an option to stay logged in, but I prefer the session to end eventually if I forget to log out.
    Was there a change in the forum software recently that causes this? Is it the same for everyone?

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It will depends on your browser I think. I only have problems with chrome, so far.

3. Taleman

I have this same problem on all browsers I use.
    • Chrome on my android tablet computer
    • Firefox on Debian Stretch
    • Cromium on Debian Jessie

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Strange. I use chrome and I don't get logged out automatically when I tick the stay logged in checkbox.

5. Taleman

I have not ticked the stay logged in checbox. Until a week or maybe two ago, the session still continued for long enough to read the posts and write answers. Now I get logged out after 5 minutes every time on all browsers I have tried.
    I don't mind the automatic logout, but 5 minutes is too soon. In fact I pfefer to get the session automatically logged out if I forget to logout myself.

6. Taleman

Since yesterday evening, I no longer get a forced logout after 5 minutes. About 20 minutes now in this session. I have not knowingly changed anything. And I still keep the "Stay logged in" unticked.

ahrasis and till like this.
  7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

thank you for reporting back on that issue. I had switched to a higher priced plan at Cloudflare last week to use the Railgun feature to speed up howtoforge but that caused several issues with sessions, some users were not able to download vm images anymore, so I reverted back to the original setup now.

ahrasis likes this.