Automatically Mark As Read in MS Outlook when sync imap

Discussion in 'General' started by clouddy, Apr 24, 2024.

1. clouddy

clouddy New Member

I use ispconfig 3.2.11 to make a mail server. I set up imap on microsoft outlook office version.
    And the problem that occurs is that when I sync Email with Server Mail, every email is changed to read. and when press send/receive to see the new email I didn't even get to read it and new mail is changed to read too. I tried setting up Reading panes on outlook and it didn't work.
    Is there a way to fix it?

2. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Does this only happen in Outlook? Can you check the mails in the webmailer? Are you fetching the mails somewhere else with something like fetchmail or PopCon? Can you try what happens when you create a new test profile in outlook and set up the mail account again, does the same behavouir occure?

3. clouddy

clouddy New Member

Yes, this only happens with outlook office version. When I use roundcube there are no problems. I tried creating a new profile and the problem still exists. I tried using another server with no problem. Mail retrieved has an unread status. But when I use this server and there is a problem when syncing, the status in webmail is also changed. I tried using thunderbird and can't connect to imap. I tried using outlook ipad, no problem, only happens with outlook office version.

4. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Why can't you connect using Thunderbird? Does this happen with every mail account or is this problem only one specific mailbox?
    Based on what you describe here, it seems like a issue or configuration error of your Outlook client and not an issue related to ISPConfig or the mailservices themself.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When an email is marked as read, then this is always initiated by the mail client; the server does not do that. So either Outlook does this, or if you connect with several mail clients simultaneously, the other mail client might cause this.

6. clouddy

clouddy New Member

It happens to every mail account.

When I tested, I used only one client.

But many clients using this mail server encounter the same problem.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Marking an email as read is not initiated by the server; it's a command sent from the client to the server. So the client controls this. You confirmed already that this issue is not server-related here:

So you know that other IMAP mail clients like RoundCube do not cause any issues. If it would be a server issue, you must see the exacz same behaviour with Roundcube Imap mail client too, as Roundcube is a normal IMAP client like Thunderbird or Outlook and connects to the mailbox in the exact same way that any other mail client does.

So instead of searching for ISPConfig + your issue on the net, you should search vor your mail client + imap + the issue you encounter.

grasomega and pyte like this.