Automating secundary dns

Discussion in 'General' started by jorizzzz, May 30, 2007.

1. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

I've got a question about DNS.

I've got two DNS servers running in my network. When i create a new network, the DNS entries are automatically added to the primary dns server. But i have to create the domain on the slave server by hand... Is there a way to automate this? So that ISPconfig can add the domain to the primary dns and to the secundairy dns?

I know this is possible using PowerDNS, but can ISPconfig support this?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig supports currently only the automatic snchronisation between primary and secondary DNS after you created the secondary dns record the first time on the second server. Even the creation might be automated with the remoting framework, but this functionality has not been added yet.

3. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the automatic synchronisation of DNS isn't a part of ISPconfig... It's a part of BIND.

Does anybody here have a workaround for this problem?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That'S true, but you still have to create the slave zone on the secondary DNS before automatic synchronization can start, and the slave zone is created through ISPConfig.

5. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

Could you tell me how i can manage my slaves zones through ISPconfig then? I've now got to add the slave zones by hand using webmin :eek: on my second dns server...

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Login to ISPConfig on the secondary server, go to the dns manager and add a secondary dns record for the domain.

7. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

hehe, I don't have ISPConfig installed on my second server.. ;)

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

9. robd

robd New Member

Here is a post that might help...

Hardship! ISPConfig works magic, making hosting click and done... still you might need to do a few things "by hand"...

How about this post? Call a script to SSH to your secondary to auto-insert records at first create of a zone.
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545