Backup extented attributes problem

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Clouseau, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Member

I'm trying to implement a backup of a whole system but I ran into a problem that extended attributes are not preserved, ie.:
    lsattr /var/www/clients/client2/
    ----i--------e-- /var/www/clients/client2/web5

After doing this rsync -aAEXv /var/www/clients/client2/ /test/
    lsattr test/
    -------------e-- test/web5

How to preserve that attribute for backup? With tar the result is the same, I have installed tar from wheezy-backports because it has support for --acls and --xattr and it also doesn't work:

tar --acls --xattrs -cvpzf /root/backup.tar.gz --exclude=mnt --exclude=media --exclude=proc --exclude=dev --exclude=sys --exclude=tmp --exclude=run --exclude=/root/backup.tar.gz /

2. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I think, the ummtable-flag is ignored by rsync because rsync works accorss different filesystems and this flag is ext?--specific. The main goal ist to preserver permissions and ownership.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Member

Hhm, this is on the same local ext4 system... It's weird ie. one day if I wanna change server I can rsync the whole system to a new one, change ip addresses where it has to be changed and that's it. I can change afterwards all those web* directoriers with a script but rsync shuold do with -X flag all this, it copys data, then sets owner and group and xattr atributes. Tar doesn't do it also, I have found more information: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mailing.unix.rsync/8hJZkd2yVVQand http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap29sec307.html

4. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

It´s not wired. rsync just can´t sync this flag. ;) You can create a wrapper around rsync and set the flag. I´m not sure if the resync-tool will the flag.

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Member