backup failure notifications possible?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ronee, Feb 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ronee

ronee Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello, wondering if there is a way for an email notification to be generated if ispconfig fails to successfully perform a configured backup, sometimes this happens for instance if there is insufficient disk space for instance. By default the backups will silently fail.

Thanks in advance.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Failed backups are logged with loglevel 'Warning', when you set email notification under system > server config to loglevel warning, then you should get notified about failed backups by email.

3. ronee

ok thanks Till, to which email address will the notifications be sent? any simple way to trigger a notification for testing purposes?

4. till

The admin email address that you have set under System > Interface config.

Not really. The backup plugin checks for the return value of the backup (tar / zip) command.

5. ronee

ok great, thanks very much

6. ronee

I found one server with an event I could trigger with loglevel error, the admin name & email is set but no email is being delivered. Have checked the maillog for the admin email address and postfix is not attempting to send a notification that I can see, I looked through the ispconfig logs and not finding any trace of this. Is there a log I can look in to debug where the problem might be?

thanks

7. till

Check that email sending has been activated for that log level under system > server config.

8. ronee

In that setting I have "Warnings" selected for "Send email to admin starting with the following level" so that looks correct. I have worked on this before and never gotten it to work. Definitely interested in whatever else can be done to debug it. Thanks

9. till

Is the php mail() function maybe blocked on that server?

10. ronee

Not to my knowledge, to make sure I've tested it and this works fine from command line:

php -r 'mail("<testemailaddress>","Testing php -v ".phpversion(),"php on ".gethostname());'

So that works fine but ispconfig notification mails are not initiated for some reason.

Thanks Till