backup files from ISPConfig

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Tom John, May 27, 2019.

1. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi guys,

i want to reinstall a server with ubuntu 18.04 and ISPConfig.
    For not to loose the ISPConfiguration which files i have to backup before i reinstall the server?

thanks a lot for your kind help

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You need at least these directories:

/etc
    /var/lib/mysql (stop mysql first before you backup it or use mysqldump command to dump the databases to a file instead)
    /var/vmail (contains the emails)
    /var/www (contains the websites)
    /usr/local/ispconfig (contains ispconfig itself)
    /var/log/ispconfig (website and ispconfig logs)
    /var/backup (website backups)
    /var/lib/mailman/ (Mailman mailinglists)

There might be other directories that need to be backuped up if you stored something outside of ispconfig or if you were using nonstandard folders.

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If you can get en extra server, it might be easier to install a new empty Ubuntu and ISPConfig 3, and use the ISPConfig Migration Tool to migrate all data from old server to new. https://www.ispconfig.org/add-ons/ispconfig-migration-tool/
    This requires that you have two servers running at the same time, the existing ISPConfig setup and the new ISPConfig setup that you install now.

4. Tom John

thanks a lot for your help guys.
    the directories that Till said, do they include the lets encrypt certificates?
    are there any config files from the server i should backup like master.cf etc?
    thanks for your kind answer

5. till

Yes, Let's encrypt is in /etc/letsencrypt

The config files are in /etc and that's on the list of directories that need to be backed up.

6. Tom John

thanks for the quick anser.
    You help me a lot every time thank you so much.
    may i ask another question, when i backup the isp itself
    /usr/local/ispconfig
    do i have to install ispconfig again or is it enough to only copy the /usr/local/ispconfig directory? Or should i install ispconfig and then copy the /usr/local/ispconfig dir?

Which installation of ISPConfig do you recommend?
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-ispconfig-automated-install-script/
    or:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...l-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig/
    thanks for your help

7. till

When you copy back the whole folders, then an ispconfig install should not be necessary as you would overwrite it anyway. Regarding installation, use the same setup guide that you used for the current install.

8. Tom John

thanks so much Till, you saved my life