Backup files not starting

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by diablo666, Aug 24, 2017.

1. diablo666

diablo666 Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi there,
    i've setup the backup of websites, but it stops working.
    Only the db will be correctly backup.
    I've tried the backup script in debug mode and check log, but no error are shown...
    What may i check?

2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Which version of ISPConfig are you using?

3. diablo666

Latest stable, updated some hours ago, problem was present before upgrade anyway.

4. Croydon

Is your backup directory on a nfs storage or on the same hdd/partition as the rest?

5. diablo666

Is mapped through s3fs, i've tried to to enable/disable option "Backup directory is a mount?", same result.
    I've tried to change attribute of files with chown, chmod without anyissue...

6. Croydon

Do you have selected to create backups as web user or as root user (server config -> tab server -> backup mode)?

7. diablo666

Ok i've found the problem... after some fix, backup won't start because they where flagged as weekly instead of daily...

What is the differences between "backups as web user or as root user"?

In any case the backups are put in /var/backups, only with different users instead of root?

8. Croydon

When created as user, the backup counts for user's quota. When created as root, it's not.

9. diablo666

Oh, interesting... Thank you

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

And when a backup is run as user, then it will contain only the files of the website that are readable for the web user while the backup as root contains all files in the web dir, no matter which user owns them.

11. diablo666

Oh nice, so ... for a real full backup back is better the root mode...

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I fear it' not so easy :) Because this is also a security question which yu as admin should be aware of when choosing the backup method. Your clients can download the backup, so let's say you put a file with a secret password into one of his folders, let's say /var/www/clientdomain.tld/private/secret.txt. Now you think, hey, that's secure as he can not read files owned by root with root read only chmod. BUT, when you use root backup method, then the file will be stored in the backup, the client can download the backup archive and get's the secret file. So this is probably not something that would happen in real as you won't put any secret root only files into a private website folder or the users web dir. I just wanted to make you aware of the risks of using the root backup method, while it is great that it contains all files, the negative side as well is that it contains all files :)

13. diablo666

Sure i've understand!
    That's not my problem because normaly i don't put this kind of files in user space, but only in root directory not accessibile by ispconfig users.
    So, for me, not a problem.
    Thanky for the advise!