Backup Mail Server

Discussion in 'General' started by michealstich, Sep 13, 2014.

1. michealstich

michealstich New Member

I have 3 servers running CentOS 5.6 and ISPconfig 3.0.3.3 (I think its the latest). I have setup 1 primary that handles email and DNS, a secondary that handles DNS, and a third that I am trying to have become a backup email server.

I tried following some items I found elsewhere in the forum on creating a backup mail server that will hold the mail until the primary is back online using mail routing and transport. I am still a little fuzzy on the config, however I have it setup with SMTP as the type, and Sort by is set to 5 (default). I then tried to test the configuration by using a remote server to run a SMTP check on the sub-domain that directs to the backup email. It gives a timeout error.

If someone could help guide me on how to set this up, maybe where I might have gone wrong? Or maybe a better way to test it to indicate if it even is working?

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This version is several years old. you should really update to a current version.

1) Add a transport for the domain on the second server in ispconfig that points to the ip addressor hostname of the first server.
    2) Add a relay recipient for the email address or @domain.tld for the whole domain.
    3) Di not add a email domain on the second server.