Backup on multi server setup on mounted volume

Discussion in 'General' started by Stelios, Sep 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all,

I've read a lot about the backup functionality but is not entirely clear to me.
    My understanding is that all backups are under /var/backup and I can configure that under Sites - Backup in terms of intervals.
    Is not clear to me if that backup gets also the relevant databases (hosted on multiple DB servers) and also the email (hosted also on multiple email servers).
    Databases is not much of a problem as I can get them easily with a script and restore them but email is a pain to backup/restore.

Are there any docs about what the backup gets in detailed?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

website backups backup both the website and the database (to separate archive files). backups go to /var/backup of that server, so multiple servers will backup to their own /var/backup folder. you can have an external drive/folder/share mounted on each server and backup to a shared location. you may need to be careful with this though, you may want to use subfolders for each server, or avoid multiple servers backing up to the same mounted location simultaneously. i've tried this using s3fuse / s3fs etc and had issues with disconnections when multiple servers try to write at the same time. (seems to work ok with objectiveFS on s3.

if your db server is not the same server hosting the websites files, you may have issues with making the db backup file available in the users /var/www/<domain.tld>/backup folder.

email backups are done separately for each mailbox, but is otherwise similar in method to the website backup.
    you can get more details in the ispconfig manual.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Also you might note there were some significant improvements to the backup system in the upcoming 3.2, which you might want to check out and see if your time investment should incorporate. We're just under 2 weeks till planned 3.2 release.

4. Stelios

@Jesse Norell where can I see the details about the new backup features on 3.2?

5. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

6. Stelios

Out of curiosity why you didn't include a feature to backup to remote storage? Having attached a local backup is not very much helpful if the server goes down.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  7. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer