Backup on Secondary HDD

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by pawan, Mar 14, 2016.

1. pawan

pawan Member

I have an additional hdd connected to my server PC.
    Now I want the backup in ispconfig to be stored in the secondary hard disk instead of the primary hard disk itself. So in case the primary hdd fails, I can restore the server from the secondary hard disk.
    How I can mount the secondary hard disk and give the path for that so that back up is stored on the secondary hdd?

I have also tried adding the secondary hdd in /etc/fstab
    Code:
    UUID=1579e689-3965-47db-83a7-665cceeb6aff /media/storage ext4 defaults 0 0
    but it hangs on boot. As a note it has already existing lots of data.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The ispconfig backup path can be configured under system > server config.

Regarding hdd mount: did you try to mount it with the mound command by using the /dev/sd.. name instead of the UUID? If that works, try to use the same name instead of the UUID in fstab.

3. pawan

pawan Member

I don't know till, but I have not created the mount point and it was being created automatically for example - /media/storage.
    So The storage folder was being created but halting on boot.
    What I have done deleted that folder and created another with sudo mkdir /media/server-backup and modified the /etc/fstab accordingly.
    Now it it booting correctly and mounting the secondary hdd.
    One Last question in system > server config - there is a checkbox - backup directory is a mount?
    I understand that this checkbox should be checked?
    Thanks.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You dont have to enable that as its a local disk. The checkbox is only required if you want to run a mount script, e.g. for a nfs share, right before the backup starts.

5. pawan

pawan Member

Thanks Till for the clarification. Now I understand the purpose of that check box.