backuppc data directory

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by raptor2552, Jun 28, 2007.

1. raptor2552

raptor2552 New Member

How do I change the data directory in backuppc that is currently set to /var/lib/backuppc/pc? Backuppc works well but I would like to add an external HDD dedicated to backup files. This is running on Ubuntu 7.04 and was installed using Synaptic.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You could create a symlink to the new directory.

3. raptor2552

raptor2552 New Member

Yes I was able to link to a new directory

Thanks

4. commonplace

commonplace New Member

more help, please!

I have the exact same scenario. BackupPC, installed via Synaptic, backing up by default to /var/lib/backuppc but I want it to backup to my external hard drive.

I know a little about symlinks but I've never actually had to do them.

I did this:

Code:
    ln -s /var/lib/backuppc /media/300/backuppc
    That seemed to work... but it just makes everything in /var/lib/backuppc appear in the new location. I want it in the new location instead of the original, not in addition to. What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do to accomplish this?

To recap: The partition where /var/lib/backuppc resides is not where I want my backups going to. /media/300/backuppc is a folder on my external (300GB, hence the '300' name) hard drive

Thank you!!

/Kevin

5. falko

Your backups are stored in /media/300/backuppc only, not in /media/300/backuppc AND /var/lib/backuppc. When you take a look at the contents of /var/lib/backuppc, you actually see the contents of /media/300/backuppc because /var/lib/backuppc is a symlink to /media/300/backuppc.

6. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

I would like to use both drives

This is a good post for me, but I am installing a new hard drive and followed some of the other howtos to get the disk recognized, but I would like to now have BackupPC use the new hard drive and the old harddrives together. The SymLink just re-routes the data to the new location correct?

As you can see below I have added 500GB (1 drive) to my 750GB (original 2 drives using CentOS) and now have 1.2TB. However df -h shows that I still just have the orginal 750GB.

[root@CRO-Backup ~]# vgdisplay
    --- Volume group ---
    VG Name Backup00
    System ID
    Format lvm2
    Metadata Areas 3
    Metadata Sequence No 4
    VG Access read/write
    VG Status resizable
    MAX LV 0
    Cur LV 2
    Open LV 2
    Max PV 0
    Cur PV 3
    Act PV 3
    VG Size 1.20 TB
    PE Size 32.00 MB
    Total PE 39343
    Alloc PE / Size 24439 / 763.72 GB
    Free PE / Size 14904 / 465.75 GB
    VG UUID VDHoBk-nd0b-R0zu-iqpx-lNCe-5CEy-rSF74d

[root@CRO-Backup ~]# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/Backup00-Backup00
    739G 578G 123G 83% /
    /dev/sda1 99M 17M 77M 18% /boot
    tmpfs 888M 0 888M 0% /dev/shm

Note: VG size is correct with the extra 500GB, but the df -h command shows /dev/mapper seeing only the original size. How can I get BackupPC to just utilaze all of the space -- or will it and I just need to wait?

Sorry for being such a newbie!

7. falko