Bandwidth Throttling in Apache (mod_throttle)

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ddelbia, Dec 3, 2005.

1. ddelbia

ddelbia Member

Hi,
    This is my first post :)

I'm in love for mod_throttle: http://freshmeat.net/projects/mod_throttle/
    I hate traffic limits, I'd like to set limits like: 64kbps guarantee bw for hosting too... the site will slow down but not suspended... and mod_throttle can do this, unlike cband (as the features list)

Unfortunally, it is only avaiable for apache1.3 now, but as you can see in the freshmeet project page, "a port to Apache 2.0 is planned to be done"...

------ BEGIN OT ------
    I have a question too, little OT here but I don't want to open another thread :)
    What happens with the current version of ISPConfig if a site reach the traffic limit with the option "suspend"?
    With "notify" option, I think an email will be sent to the customer... and me? ;-)
    ------ END OT ------

Thank you for you job!
    Sorry for my english, I'm italian (do you need translators to italian?;-))

Denis

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If a site is suspended, it isn't deleted or moved elsewhere; not even the configuration of Apache is rewritten. The only thing that happens is this:

Code:
    chown root <web_root>
    chmod 400 <web_root>
    This means that Apache, ProFTPd and all the other services aren't allowed to read (and therefore serve) pages/files from that web site. It's a very simple but very effective solution! :)

In both cases (suspension and notification) the customer will receive an email. If you specify a BCC email address for suspension/notification, that email address will receive a copy of that email.

3. ddelbia

ddelbia Member

Yes, very effective solution :)
    This is effective but... not so "nice" for the customer... here is my feature request, bw throttling... what do you think?
    Thank you anyway!
    Denis

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Most new installations of ISPConfig are using apache 2. I think we will have to wait until mod_throttle is available as stable version for apache 2.

5. dembol

dembol New Member

Hmm, mod_cband can do this from 0.9.6.0 version! You should use CBandExceededSpeed directive to slow down pages when the bandwidth is exceeded :)

6. ddelbia

ddelbia Member

Just released! very very nice, thank you! :D

7. benbalbo

benbalbo ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Just wondering - is the suspension automatically lifted at the start of the next month?

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, it is. :)