Banging my head, How To Run Your Own DNS Servers

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ACDII, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ACDII

ACDII Member

I followed this howto, but used FC15 instead. It partially works, it isn't replicating. I added a user on the server1 interface, then went to server 2, and select * from sys_user shows only the original admin user. Logs aren't telling me anything either. Did I miss something?

Which table holds the actual DNS information that I can review through mysql?

One other question I have, on these servers, what do I use for DNS IP's? When I dig my domain, I get our existing servers instead of the local server, even when I try dig @localhost.

So far, from what I have used on the GUI, I like and this will be a great addition for us, IF I can get it working.

2. LTxda

LTxda Member

If you need to configure DNS for the server itself you can use the publicly available and free DNS addresses of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 provided by Google. :)

3. ACDII

ACDII Member

Thanks, been using 4.2.2.1 on these. Anyhow, I found something that doesnt seem right on the second server,

ifcfg-p3p1

It didn't change it to eth0 as it did on the other server after modifying grub. Could this have something to do with it not replicating? This is about my only sticking point now, communication between boxes.

In ISPConfig, when I go to look at the logs for server 2, I get this,

Data from: ????-??-?? ??:??

4. ACDII

ACDII Member

I found one of the problems, the firewall behind server1 was blocking 3306. :rolleyes:

I have it opened up on both firewalls now for both IP's. I reran the ispconfig install after uninstalling it on the slave. It installed now, but I dont see that it is updating. Is there a way to check to see if they are talking to each other?

I rebooted both servers, now they are talking.

One final question, is there a way to import all my existing zone files?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You mean on the slave? The slave should fetch all zones from the master automatically.