Best backup system

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Galopete, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Galopete

Galopete Member

Hello

It is possible to backup the entirely system hd (like a image) in ubuntu 12.04 server?

The idea is revert the system in case of disaster.

Many thanks,
    Abraham

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The best way in my opinion is to virtualize the server. I use this for backups on all my servers.

1) Install a minimal linux system with just ssh dameon on the server.
    2) install a openvz capable kernel.
    3) Create a virtual machine in openvz and install ispconfig inside this virtual machine.

Now you can backup your server at any time easily with the "vzdump" command and restore it with "vzrestore". When you want to move the system to a newer hardware in future, then all you have to do is that you copy the backup that you created with vzdup to the new server (were you installed openvz before) and restore the virtual machine.

Openvz has a very small processing overhead as it is basically a advanced linux jail where the vm uses the kernel of the host system.

3. Galopete

Galopete Member

Many thanks again, Till

But now i have my server in production without virtualization....

Maybe in the next install i will try this.

Any tutorial in howtoforge?

Regards,
    Abraham

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

For the host system, you can e.g. use debian whezy:

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-and-using-openvz-on-debian-wheezy-amd64

If you are familar with ubuntu, then you are familar with debian as well as it is very similar.

There is no openvz kernel available for ubuntu as far as I know, so debian is a goof alternative.

For the os inside the vm you can use any Linux os like debian, ubuntu or Centos.