Best Solution For Scenario.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by scottrill2, Dec 5, 2009.

1. scottrill2

scottrill2 Member

Hello folks,

Before I begin let me state I am a complete and total novice when it comes to Linux, if any of my questions are retarded then you know why lol ;)

Also I do apologize if this forum is not the most appropriate location for this thread.

I have a spare box, in my living room that right now has windows with some stock software on it that I use. I have the box connected to a big hdtv so I have lots of space for charts etc. The stock software can only be installed on one PC so I connect to the box remotely from my others when I need access. However as I stated I mainly do my stock trading from this box as I have all that screen size to have watchlists etc on. I also watch netflix and hulu from this TV from time to time.

That is my current situation.

I would like to learn Linux and particularly ISPconfig2 and ISPconfig3 as well. On my other PC's I multi boot so that I can practice linux in free time etc. But with multibooting Id have to keep windows on weekdays only allowing me seldom practice with linux.

I installed Xenserver on the box, created a XP Pro VM, and then figured I could create a VM for both ISPConfigs. However a couple of things are not as I would desire them to be:

1. I can only access the XP VM from "other" PC's and so I can not display my stock software any longer on the big screen, it is nice having so much screen real estate for this application.

2. Netflix runs but it stutters, Im assuming because the video card is emulated.

So ultimately Im looking for some type of virtualization setup where you can view in fullscreen a VM directly on the Host machine.

The only way I can think of accomplishing this is installing Windows again and then running like virtual box or something to run the VM linux ISPConfig servers.

However after seeing how sweet Linux is with resources Id rather find a linux based solution.

So my questions would be:

1. Is their a virtualization product out there that would let me view a VM fullscreen directly from the host machine?

2. With regard to netflix and hulu etc, I have SLI but am only using one card, if I put a second card in could I tell a Virtualization product to use that card solely for the windows based VM?

My main focus is getting a setup where I can keep the stock software on the big screen, netflix is an after thought, if netflix is sacrificed so be it.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise,

Scott

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'm not sure if this will work, but I'd try the newest VirtualBox release (3.1.0). It can be installed on Linux and Windows hosts.

3. scottrill2

scottrill2 Member

Thanks a bunch!!

Hey Falko thanks for the reply I truly appreciate it. I have 3 more questions if I could ask.

1. What distribution do you think would be the best and most stable for virtualbox to be installed to?

2. To view the VM fullscreen on the host I will need to make sure I install either gnome or KDE correct?

3. Which distribution would you recommend for the virtual machines for ISPconfig2 and ISPconfig3?

Thanks again for your time,

Scott

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'd use Ubuntu.

I think so.

Debian Lenny.