Best way to backup system state on an ISPconfig server.

Discussion in 'General' started by cortexx, Sep 5, 2007.

1. cortexx

cortexx New Member

Thanks to the walkthroughs and help from this site i have an Ubuntu 7.04 perfect server setup with ispconfig successfully installed and running.

The question now is what is the easiest way to backup system state. If the server decides to puke or there is a failiure i have a need to get it running on a spare server immediately.

Can this be automated ?

Can I have a backup where i can start with a bare hard drive and restore the running server to it ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. cortexx

cortexx New Member

I checked both of those out.

Neither of them will do a complete state backup that includes the entire server file system.

ghost4linux is good but the server has to be offline and the backup has to be done manually to get done.

Is there no setup for backing up a linux box completely while it is running ?

:(

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Have a look at "dd"
    Code:
    man dd

5. cortexx

cortexx New Member

I looked at DD and its not really a striahgt forward solution for what i need.

My knowledge of linux is getting better by the day but i still lack the ability to make use of commands to achieve a complex task without a great deal of help.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

7. cortexx

cortexx New Member

Hi Guys

thanks for the info.

im going to have a play with system imager .

;)

8. mlz

mlz Member

Personally, I love systemimager, once you build a client boot disk and have it ready, the system comes up very easily.