Best way to switch to a new server

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by wwweiss, Jun 29, 2017.

1. wwweiss

wwweiss Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I have an old Server with ubuntu 12.04 and ISPconfig with a lot of Websites (only websites are used, no email or any other feature). Now I would like to setup a new Server with ubuntu 14.04 (I don't use 16.04 because I want PHP5 as default) and copy all websites from the old server to the new server. What is the best way to do that?
    My plan is like that:
    1. Install the new server with ubuntu 14.04 and ISPconfig
    2. copy everything from /var/www from the old to the new server
    3. copy all databases from the old to the new server including dbispconfig
    4. copy everything from /etc/apache2 to the new server
    5. copy /etc/group and /etc/passwd to the new server
    Is that enough to get the websites running?
    Is there a better way to do that job? Please keep in mind that I am switching from ubuntu 12 to ubuntu 14.
    Your help would be highly appreciated.
    Jürgen

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This should generally work, but I would change a few steps.

1-3: ok
    4) I won't do that.better login to ispconfig as last step and use Tools > resync to let ispconfig write the vhosts files.
    5) Do not copy all users and groups. I would copy just the lines for the web* users and client* groups plus the ssh users created for ispconfig websites to the new server from passwd, group, shadow and gshadow file.
    6) Copy /var/log/spconfig/httpd/* over and then the bind mount lines in /etc/fstab and run 'mount -a' to activate them
    7) as mentioned in 4) Login to ispconfig and run tool > resync.

3. wwweiss

wwweiss Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thank you very much for your absolutely fast response. It is very helpful, because I never used the resync-Tool and completely forgot 6).
    I will do this Job over the weekend - if I don't come back, everything went right.