Best Way to upgrade older servers with MySQL 5.5

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by webguyz, Jan 30, 2019.

1. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Have several old WebServer slaves that have mysql 5.5 and need the best way to upgrade with least amount of problems to something not EOL.
    Found this article that looks like a good way to do this but have a question about going from 5.5 to 5.7. I remember reading an article that is not a good idea to upgrade more then one version at a time. Anyone done that successfully? and can I do the following on MySQL 5.5 servers with APT? Anyone have a better way to upgrade that has proven successful? All std Debian jessie servers.
    Thx!

How to install MySQL server 5.6 or 5.7 on Debian 7 and 8

Debian provides MySQL server 5.5 with both wheezy and jessie but the latest GA (Generally Available) releases are 5.6 and 5.7 with some enhancements and added features, including support for InnoDB Full-text search.

Here’s how to install MySQL server 5.6 or 5.7 on Debian based Linux distros (including wheezy, jessie and Ubuntu):

1. Download the MySQL APT repository config tool (you can see more details here: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/repo/apt/)

wget http://dev.mysql.com/get/mysql-apt-config_0.7.3-1_all.deb

2. Install the MySQL APT repository config tool

dpkg -i mysql-apt-config_0.7.3-1_all.deb
    You will be asked to select product and version that you want to install. In the first step, select Server and next select either mysql-5.6 or mysql-5.7. Then click Apply.

1. Update APT

apt-get update

2. Install the server

apt-get install mysql-community-server

2. webguyz

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is uprading Jessie to Debian Stretch out of the question?

4. webguyz

Had a bad experience going from wheezy to jessie using upgrade a while back and now gun shy about making such a leap.
    I assume Stretch has newer version of MySQL? Do you have a good link for completing such an Jessie-to-Stretch upgrade with a high degree of success? Will an upgrade do the mysql and existing production db's as well?

Thanks!

5. webguyz

6. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter