Beta testers for cpanel migration wanted.

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by Croydon, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

We have developed a cpanel module for our migration tool recently.
    Currently we are searching for cpanel users that would like to migrate to ISPConfig and want to beta test our cpanel migration.

As cpanel has a very different method of storing and processing data, there are some limitations that cannot be avoided when migrating to ISPConfig:
    • We cannot migrate each and every email filter that might be set up in cpanel. This is due the very different approach (spamassassin/exim filters vs. sieve filters and mail account based vs. client account based filters). We try to convert as much filters as possible, though.
    • You need at least ISPConfig version 3.1.15 as target.
    • We cannot (under some circumstances) migrate all database user to database relations. That is because cpanel uses a quite low-level approach where you can assign unlimited users with custom privileges to each database.
      ISPConfig only allows up to two (one with full, one with r/o access) users for each database. The migtool does it's best to determine the right users to assign. The remaining users (if any) will still be created but not assigned to any database.
    • Cron Jobs will be migrated but have to be checked manually. That is because cpanel might use /usr/local/something/php or different binaries which do not exist on the target machine.
    • In ISPConfig there is no "master mail box". That means the migration tool will create a "[email protected]" mail box that takes the settings from the cpanel master box. Right now (we'll change that) we do not import the corresponding mail data from there.
    • The web aliasdomains and subdomains in cpanel have quite a different structure so we might not be able to match the settings 100%.
    • PostgreSQL is not supported by ISPConfig and is not migrated.
    • WebDav users in ISPConfig have no setting for r/o or r/w access so all users from cpanel are imported as r/w.

If you'd like to be considered as a beta tester, please send an email to the migration toolkit support.

2. adammazin

adammazin New Member

kindly sign me up i applied to signup forum.

Croydon likes this.
  3. rbartz

rbartz Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello Croydon.
    Are you still working to get cpanel to ISPCONFIG3 working? I have used the migration tool over the years on many occasions moving ispconfig to ispconfig but now have three cpanel accounts I need to move BACK to ISPCONFIG. Yeah, I know, MY BAD... In my defense, I do have three servers running ispconfig3 anyway.
    I tried the current toolkit and get [ERROR] Shadow file /etc/shadow could not be read! ob startup.
    Anything?
    Croydon, THANK YOU for your work on this earlier. What is the current status?
    Richard Bartz

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It works fine.

Any Linux system must have this file, if it can't be read, then it is quite likely that the account you are currently logged in is not the root account. You must be logged in as root user to run the tool.

5. rbartz

rbartz Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thank you Till, that makes sense of course. Cheap cpanel hosting accounts are shared. End of story.
    I really appreciate your quick response. You guys are the best.
    Richard