Billing: Duplicate invoice numbers and clients get wrong invoice

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by adrigen, Oct 15, 2013.

1. adrigen

adrigen New Member

I have had a recent issue occur where some invoices are getting the same invoice number.

Initially I rationalised that invoice numbers could be reused for different clients, however the clients who recieved these invoices got copies of the first invoice with that number. i.e. the wrong client name and the invoice details corresponding to the other client.

Can you please give me some direction in how to investigate this further or troubleshoot?

Thanks, Adrian.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hi,

invoice numbers have to be unique, so you can not use the same invoice number for 2 invoices. What you can do is that you use a client specific number as invoice prefix and then a number that starts by 1 for each client as invoice number, so the overall invoice number is still unique. Which invoice number settings have you choosen in your company details?

3. adrigen

adrigen New Member

Client number not coming through to invoice number

My invoice number pattern is {YEAR} {MONTH} {CLIENTNO}{COUNTER}.

Thought the invoices coming though dont seem to have client numbers even though the client field is set. eg one of the invoices is coming tough as 2013 10 0001. So either there's no client number or it's coming through as 00 (depending on whether the cusomer id is 2 or 4 digits...

Can I change the invoice number of the invoices which are already created?

4. till

Ok, I will check that.

Which Billing module revision do you have installed? the revison number is shown in the global settings form.

Not trough the billing interface. But you can change them with phpmyadmin in the table billing_invoice.

5. adrigen

adrigen New Member

billing version REV-5

6. till

Please send me a email to the address were you received the billing module from, so I can send you the rev10 version to see if it fixes the issue.

7. adrigen

adrigen New Member

I think I have found the problem. I did not realise that it usd customer number not ID. None of my customers had customer numbers set.

I presume that giving them mumbers will fix this issue.

Perhaps in the future it could be a required field, or the unique component of the default invoice number patter could be made of a requred field?

I will post again if this does not fix the issue for future invoices.

(adrianXgmail.com)

8. adrigen

adrigen New Member

btw, should I report that as a bug or feature request, or leave it?

9. till

Please make it a feature request.

The client number is not used in the default number schemes of the billing module as the client number is optional in the client settings. We made this placeholder available in the invoice number schemes as some clients requested it for compatibility with their billing systems they used before. Making this field a requirement would mean that it has to be made mandatory in ispconfig too, not only the billing module.