Bind down!!

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jorizzzz, Jun 3, 2008.

1. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

Hi,

I've got a bind problem... I've been messing around a bit in the dns configuration of ispconfig and now bind won't start any more. When it tries to start it gives me the following error:

/etc/bind/named.conf:40: zone '0.0.127.in-addr.arpa': already exists previous definition: /etc/bind/named.conf:27

line 27 looks like this:
    zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "db.local";
    };

and line 40 looks like this:
    zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "pri.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa";
    };

As you can see it is for the same zone, i've never had the second entry before (checked my backup files from yesterday).

pri.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa also contains bogus data, this is what's in it:

Code:
    $TTL        86400
    @               IN      SOA     ns1.********.nl. hostmaster.********.nl. (
                                    2008060302       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                                    28800   ; Refresh
                                    7200    ; Retry
                                    604800  ; Expire
                                    86400)  ; Minimum TTL
                            NS      ns1.********.nl.
                            NS      ns3.********.nl.
    1       PTR     localhost.*******.com.

;;;; MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ;;;;

The *** is where the domain is entered, but i left that out.

My question is, how can i make sure the file pri.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa won't be created any more? Every time this file is created by ispconfig, my bind stops working.
    I can get bind running again by deleting the entry on line 40 in named.conf, but that isn't the answer to this problem.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

Also another strange thing. This all happened with another from one of my clients at first. I've eventually removed the domain becaused it had moved to another server, but now this other domain (which i've done nothing with the last couple of months) came forward in the pri.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa file...

3. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Hi Jorizzzz,

Dutch domains need a 127.0.0.1 record (that is what SIDN is telling you), and as you are probably hosting more than one .NL, you also created more 127.0.0.1 records.
    More than one 127.0.0.1 (localhost) records will 'break' Bind.

I have had the exact same problem here.
    To fix it, remove ALL the extra 127.0.0.1 records (from ISPconfig > DNS manager > the .NL domains > Records > A-Record, except one!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008