bind issues with permissions always changing

Discussion in 'General' started by djtremors, Mar 11, 2007.

1. djtremors

djtremors New Member

hey all,

building my second server using fedora 6 and ispc 2.2.11 and i'm finding the same issues i had with fedora 5 and any version of ispc.

For whatever reason the /var/named/chroot/var/named/ permissions are always changing occasionally back to 755 permissions which then doesn't allow the adminispconfig do updates to the dns zones. why this user must have access, i have no idea.

Every time the path changes it's permissions, ispc begins to segfault when writeconf.php runs which then stops update. Not only that, ispc considers the path invalid and changes the systems settings automatically to /etc/bind which doesn't even EXIST so why change it in the first place?

This is a constant issue for me as not only does it kill my ispc setup but also i have to manually chmod it as I can't find where this is being reset.

Also on initial install, i had a funny laugh that the path for name was set to '/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/multidoc/edit' which was interesting....

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is not changing these permissions at all, so it must be something in your fedora setup.

I would start looking at these places:

- bind startscript
    - rpm updates
    - cronjobs

3. djtremors

djtremors New Member

i wasn't blaming ispc but at the same time i don't understand why writeconf.php seg faults only because the permissions are changed back to original install permissions. this segfaulting always happens with writeconf.php and on any version of ispconfig when the DNS permissions are not what your howto requires which is 755.. default of /var/named is "750 root:named"

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The segfaults are a mysterium for me too. It must be a bug in PHP itself, beacause it should be not possible to produce a segfault in a interpreted language like PHP as ther are no functions to access low level memory structures and pointers like in C for example.