BIND/Sendmail Question

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Techman, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Techman

Techman New Member

Ok so I've been reading the Fedora Core 6 Perfect Server Install How To and I can't understand why for a home network you would use Sendmail/Bind. Now I have Dynamic IP address and have DynDNS.org forwarding xxxx.homelinux.com to my IP address. I won't need internal DNS or Sendmail on my system unless I wanted to accept Email of [email protected] am I right?

I would like to do ISPConfig but it won't run unless I have Quota/Bind/Sendmail installed and I don't want to do quota's for users because its only me and I don't want to be limited on space. Or am I completely wrong on what I'm gathering?

Techman

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Well, the tutorial was written for servers in a data center.;)

You don't need BIND at all if someone else is managing your DNS records (which is the case if you use DynDNS addresses).

You can switch off BIND if you don't need it, but it must be installed, otherwise ISPConfig will refuse to install. But you can leave out quota if you don't need it (but you can also install it and then specify -1 in all quota fields in ISPConfig which means "no quota").