Bind9 - Changes to DNS records not taking effect until service restart

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Jan Brodecky, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Jan Brodecky

Jan Brodecky New Member

Hello,

I'm having an issue with Bind9 and ISPconfig3. When I create or modify a DNS record in ISPconfig3, the change gets quickly reflected in the Bind9 zone configuration file. However, if I query the record using nslookup, I don't get the updated response until I restart the Bind9 service.

I would also like to emphasize that the issue persists even if I manually modify the zone configuration file and change the zone's serial number. Therefore, it seems that ISPconfig does not have an impact on this situation.

I'm using Debian 10 with Bind version 9.11.5-P4-5.1+deb10u8-Debian

Here's what I have already checked:
    1. Changes to DNS records in ISPconfig3 properly propagate to the Bind9 zone configuration file.
    2. When using the 'nslookup' command, the unupdated response is returned until the Bind9 service is restarted.
    3. After restarting the Bind9 service, the changes are correctly applied, and the nslookup response is up to date.
    I would like to achieve real-time propagation of DNS changes without having to manually restart the Bind9 service. Can someone please advise me on how to properly set this up?

I would also like to mention that currently, I have a script in place that automatically restarts the Bind9 service every 15 minutes. However, this is not an ideal solution as it results in unnecessary service restarts even when no changes have been made.
    I am looking for a more efficient and reliable way to ensure real-time propagation of DNS changes without the need for manual restarts of the Bind9 service.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

When changes are made in ISPConfig Panel DNS tab, bind should restart after the changes are applied. See log files to see if this restart happens or bind rereads the configuration files.
    If the restart does not happen, that is the bug and resolving attempts should focus on that.
    On my servers this works, so something is amiss.
    One thing that is amiss, is you posted on Linux forum instead of ISPConfig forum. Furthermore, follow these instructions to get some context: https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/please-read-before-posting.58408/
    Are you using nslookup specifying your primary name server as the target of the query?

ahrasis likes this.