bind9 permission denied on debian buster

Discussion in 'General' started by chnoeli, Nov 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. chnoeli

chnoeli New Member

Hello all together
    I am not quite sure if I should open a bug report or not as I am not sure if this issue is only me or if others are struggeling too.

So let me explain:
    I set up two Debian 10 (buster) server according to The Perfect Server guide and installed ISP3.2 in a Multi server environment. As in the tutorial described I used bind as a DNS Server, it is installed on both server to use one as a Master and one as a Slave Server. When I was testing this last Weekend I stumbled on a strange behavior from the Slave server, the Server showed me in the bind logs that the Service did not have permission to write to "/etc/bind/slave/", even though the service user has read and write permission. After a lot of troubleshooting with the folder permission I found out that since Debian Buster Apparmor is installed and activated by default. After adding the Path to the bind section it was working.

So my question is am I the only one that has this issue or is this a general issue on debian 10?

Greetings
    chnoeli

Information:
    OS Release: Debian Buster 10
    ISPConfigVersion: ISPConfig Version: 3.2
    Bind version: 9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1+deb10u2
    Apparmor version: 2.13.2-10

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I was not aware that buster activates apparmor by default. I should have read the docs: https://wiki.debian.org/AppArmor/HowToUse
    But your issue can not be common. I'm sure ISPConfig has been installed on a thousand buster hosts, and I have not seen complaints like yours so far.
    Are you sure you set up the multiserver setup correctly, following the ISPConfig Manual?

3. chnoeli

chnoeli New Member

I have followed the tutorial to the best of my knowledge. As I know nothing has to be changed manually in the bind configs during the installation, therefore I was surprised that it did not work.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Bind config do not need changing manually. That is a bit strange. How did you set up the two bind servers? Have you purchased the ISPConfig Manual? https://www.ispconfig.org/documentation/user-manual/ Following that the second DNS server is set up as mirror of the first, and no bind configuration editing is needed.
    If, however, you set the name servers up the usual BIND way by editing configuration files so one is master and the other is slave, then you need to edit the configurations.
    My signature has link to DNS tutorial

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    ahrasis likes this.
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

May you please post the changes that you have to make in the Apparmor config, so we can add them to the perfect server guide?

6. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I saw the same behaviour last week but didn't look into it yet. This happens on both my Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian 10 DNS slave servers:
    Code:
    Nov 06 13:37:51 hostname named[652]: dumping master file: /etc/bind/slave/tmp-CNkL5x4sBs: open: permission denied
    Listing with permissions of the folder:
    Code:
    ls -l /etc/bind
    total 56
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2761 Aug 25 10:10 bind.keys
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  237 Aug 25 10:10 db.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  271 Aug 25 10:10 db.127
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  237 Aug 25 10:10 db.255
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  353 Aug 25 10:10 db.empty
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  270 Aug 25 10:10 db.local
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root bind  463 Aug 25 10:10 named.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root bind  498 Aug 25 10:10 named.conf.default-zones
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root bind 5792 Nov  5 17:37 named.conf.local
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root bind  976 Oct 17 13:42 named.conf.options
    -rw-r----- 1 bind bind   77 Oct 17 13:39 rndc.key
    drwxrws--- 3 root bind 4096 Oct 30 15:50 slave
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1317 Aug 25 10:10 zones.rfc1918
    Slave folder:
    Code:
    ls -la /etc/bind/slave
    total 12
    drwxrws--- 3 root bind 4096 Oct 30 15:50 .
    drwxr-sr-x 3 root bind 4096 Nov  5 12:31 ..
    drwxr-s--- 2 root bind 4096 Oct 30 15:50 sec.

7. chnoeli

chnoeli New Member

I added:
    Code:
     "/etc/bind/slave/** rw," 
    to the bind9 apparmor config:
    Code:
    /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.named

atle and till like this.
  8. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

well, that's odd, dunno about the debian guides, but the ubuntu perfect server guides specifically state to disable and remove apparmor, right near the start of the install process.
    i've only installed from scratch though, maybe a dist-upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 re-installs and re-enables apparmor?

9. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It seems like AppArmor isn't causing it, as I have removed AppArmor when installing that Ubuntu server and the issue still exists.