Brother HL-3170CDW Driver or Clone Driver?

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by fbeye, Jul 16, 2017.

1. fbeye

fbeye New Member

Hello

I am fairly new to CUPS but have had success with older printers I have had laying around.. I had just purchased said Printer but am having major issues installing it in CUPS on Slack. As I am new I am unsure if it is just a CUPS issue I am having or if their is even a driver for this device for Linux [yet] at all... I know ideally you want a driver that supports all the cool features your printer has but I just... want to print... so was also wondering if there were any clone.generic drivers to use for it.
    I have done my google search and Brother support pages and found some stuff but not in the format I know how to utilize.

Any suggestions?

2. SzonKurwi

SzonKurwi New Member

Have you tried to check cache of drivers sites?

3. fbeye

fbeye New Member

Honestly I do not know what that means... Cache of drivers [where]? Aside from the official WWW I did the routing (printer) Linux drivers.... sure, it lists all the printers you [dont] have but I am not sure which of those will also support my printer.

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have Brother MFC J200 and I have to admit that it is quite hard to install and enable all functions (fax, scanner, printer, copier) especially when the drivers for linux are for very old version. I have yet to get it to work but will try again soon.