BSD/Linux as SDC to Windows server PDC

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by ibrewster, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ibrewster

ibrewster New Member

I've seen tutorials about how to set up an OpenBSD box as a PDC, but I can't seem to find any information about setting it up as a secondary to a Windows Server PDC.

We have a windows server based PDC in our network, which works fine for local machines. However, once you get to our outstations, the performance stinks. We would like to set up a secondary domain controller out there, so they can have a local server, but the locations aren't large enough to justify the expense of getting another windows server box. Is there some way I can utilize an OpenBSD or Linux box to fill this role, while talking back to the primary Windows server to get it's user accounts and the like? Thanks.

2. bad_crow

bad_crow New Member

I don't think that GPO will pass on BSD.
    As far as I know, LDAP is a norm, so you should be able to export the user database to CSV (coma separated values) and transfer it to an openLDAP, problem is I don't think password will be copied.
    Second problem, I don't know if the servers will be able to interact with each other, even if LDAP is a norm, I really don't know if active directory and OpenLDAP+kerberos transmit and treat datas the same way.

It would be interesting that someone with a windows server and some time to spend test that (I currently don't have time) and post the results.