[Bug] Click on Options tab auto saves the settings?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by labsy, Feb 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. labsy

labsy Member

Hi Till,
    I am working on same web page from two computers. So I have WebSite -> Options tabs opened on both computers, and settings on last visited computer are usually more recent (as I work on A++ ratings with headers settings).
    What's a BUG (or maybe an unexpected feature) is that when I switch to the computer which has been left idle for few hours, I am still logged-in IPSConfig, and WebSite -> Options tab is still open...I just click on (already opened) OPTIONS tab again, and voila...OLD settings from this abandoned tab get SAVED! Red dot on top pops-up, and I check under nginX config...yep, indeed it SAVED nginX options with just touching OPTIONS tab, and NOT touching SAVE button.
    Bug or feature went out of control?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's intended, so there is no bug here. By default changes get changed when you change a tab. This feature is configurable under System interface config btw. and it exists as long ISPConfig exists, so I wonder that you as a longtime ISPConfig user do not know it. And you should not have the same settings open twice btw.

3. labsy

labsy Member

Well, I work on optimizing nginX security Policy headers, which - as you know from my other post - is a long and exhausting process. So I have the options tab opened on multiple computers, and I do not change tabs when I come to other computer. I just login to PC, bring up browser window with already opened ISPConfig window within website --> options tab, and I just click on (already opened) Options tab (I do NOT change tabs!)...and whoops...ancient settings are saved over fresh settings from other computer.
    I understand settings saved upon CHANGING tabs, but I think, tab CHANGE is wrongfully detected in my case. But this might be due to how browser interprets click on TAB after some time?

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It might be worth filing a rfe to timestamp updates, and warn/prompt when saving if an update has been made since the page was first loaded.

5. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

Nice option, didn't know about! (Should read the manual more carefully..) For others, look at the options:
    "Discard changes on tab change" and "Tab change warning"
    One the one side this drove me nuts when my computer decided to auto-fill some forms and I accidentally switched tabs, on the other side it wasn't bad enough I actually investigated this. Love that option, should have looked at it before that.
    Happened for example when I want to change the limits of a client. Go to the client page, switch to the limits tab and the fun starts, because mail-address and password was auto-filled and saved :mad:

In general (might be a feature request, sorry to hijack) I would like to have a system like implemented in OpenWRT where I can save changes, but they do not get applies until I apply them. And I am able to revert them before they get applied if needed.
    What I missed sometimes was that when I did a bad change (like changing tab from an autofilled form) I could stop execution. Now I had to quickly log into the server, stop cron and then revert the changes :eek: (now I know the option and won't have that problem anymore)
    Also, sometimes I want to have several changes happen at once. Then I too have to stop cron, do all the changes and then restart cron.
    For the far future (ISPC4?): Any plans to switch to salt to deploy settings/changes? ;-)