Building a virtual hosting structure

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by thim, Jun 21, 2006.

1. thim

thim New Member

If it's possible can somebody write a tutorial, on how to setup a linux server to run as a webhosting server.

i would like to know what's the best way on how to setup virtual users, virtual ftp, virtual mysql, virtual email acccounts. How that you do it al.
    What 's the way for managing these accounts
    example: place al user account under the home and make a virtual link to their /var/www/html .

Who can give me some tips or pointers?

I have tried systems like ensim and plesk. But they do all this stuff behind the scenes, i would like to learn more about how to do, so if there's a problem I can fix it myself instead of always depending on the controlpanels.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

3. thim

thim New Member

The tutorials explain howto setup a server.

This i can do, but i want manage this server then 4 webhosting.
    My problem is how do I structerize the server so that i can work with virtual hosting.

I want that somebody can explain me what is the best manner to do this.

How do i limit in structured manner the users access to mysql?
    How can i limit the users diskspace?
    How can i check out the bandwith usage of a user?
    How do i setup the html directory per user?
    How can i setup virtual ftp accounts?
    How can i setup virtual mailboxes?
    What structure do i give the users when i create a new user?
    /home/%username%/
    or
    /var/www/html/%username%/www/

What's the best way to do this all.

I just want to learn it, because i have always used controlpanels like plesk, ensim, VHCS. But if there was a major problem i always have to depend on the controlpanels. I want to know what's the best way on setting a server for virtual webhosting!

Anybody got some tips or pointers?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

5. brainz

brainz Member

Hi thim,

I Sorry but it sounds like you want it all served up on a plate in other words someone to explain to you every aspect of virtual hosting in detail.....

Actually in your thread this sound a lot like ispconfig becuase it can pritty much do all that you are asking for....

Well my friend i have only one suggestion for you and that is you do a lot of reading and ask questions. On this site www.howtoforge.com and you will learn a lot and maybe even after while you will, like a lot of people want to contribute back to the community.....

Another thing i can tell you the people here are great and they love to help others.....

regards
    brainz ;):cool:

6. thim

thim New Member

I don't want it on a platter, i just wanted to start an interesting thread.
    I was hoping some guys or ladies could share some interesting info.

I need specific info concencering how to setup
    - a mysql database 4 virtual hosting
    - virtual email users
    - best way of structarizing the hard disk structure for the ssh users
    - quota limitting, reading
    - bandwith limmiting
    - DNS configuring

I would like to build a complete tutorial 4 building a virtual hosting server.
    But herefore i need some help, because i don't know what's the best and most secured way to do this. I have always used controlpanels like plesk and ensim. But there everything is done by the panels itself.
    So in case of problems i always have to depend on the controlpanels.
    But when i have learned how to build my own virtual hosting server, i can fix the things myself.

I need some tips and pointers, perhaps from server admins who have experience in this area.

7. brainz

brainz Member

Hi thim,

Im sorry to have been well maybe a little to frank.......
    But i want to understand this basically what you are asking is that you want to know exactly how ispconfig has been built and how it all works as a virtual hosting server....

In other words you want a tutorial or a howto on how to design and build a virtual hosting server with every aspect like dns ftp email etc....

I think this is like asking microsoft for there sourcecode for windows... But in a OPEN SOURCE sense of way this is possible... ??? But i dont know if they are prepared to supply you with this info....

Well i dont know if there is a avalible howto on how ispconfig is built and configured and maybe im not the one to answer this question....

But maybe till and falko maybe able to help you..... Once again im am sorry for being maybe a little to forward....

regards

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  8. sjau

Since ispconfig is open source you can't compare it to proprietary software @ brainz ^^

well, he could look at the whole source of ispconig and try to understand it...

9. thim

thim New Member

I will try to study the ispconfig,

i'm still hoping some experienced server admin could give me some pointers

10. brainz

brainz Member

Hi thim,

If this is the case then my suggestion would be to talk to till or falko maybe these guys would be prepared to give you a hand but i cant talk on there behalf....

Also prehaps if you do a lot of reading on this site... Im almost sure that you will learn a lot by doing this...

regards

11. thim

thim New Member

PS brainz you werent that frank :)

You just thought that i was a lazy guy.

I'm really into linux (centOS) and webhosting but i wan't to know more about it all instead of always depending on those cpanels that completely rewrite that hard disk structure and always use that those special packages

12. brainz

brainz Member

Well thim,

Good news thim this is exactly what ispconfig does so this is your opertunity to learn about how ispconfig works.. What i would suggest is downloading a copy and then following the cenOS howto on howto setup cenOS for ispconfig, then install ispconfig and see how you go..... Im sure you will comeup with a whole load of questions after that.... and hence this forum where they are very friendly and want to help people with ispconfig.... issues..

Good luck and please dont hesitate to ask questions with issue at all because we all will love to give to a hand with any issues...

regards

13. thim

thim New Member

was thinking way ahead of you and i have already a vmware of centos running :)

Now i just have to install ispconfig :)

14. brainz

brainz Member

hehehehehehe.......

Go thim i hope it goes well and another thing you have the best of both worlds the control panel and every configuration option behind the control panel as well.....

Ohh yes also if you come across any issue dont forget to search these forums....

regards

15. sjau

you don't need to be restricted to centOS... all the perfect howto setups are suited for a later ispconfig install ^^

16. brainz

brainz Member

Fedora Core 5 is to my liking......

regards

17. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Did you have a look at the links I posted?