Building new desktop

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Lt Dan, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Lt Dan

Lt Dan New Member

This will be my first actually attempt at building a computer using a barebones Shuttle SG31G2, or at least that is the plan.

I'll be installing either Ubuntu 7.10 or Linux Mint 4.0 as an operating system. No real experience with those either, except to check out Mint from a boot disk.

Money is an issue but I don't wish to skimp on basics. I'm not a high end user, no gamer, but do watch movies on my computer.

I'm an old guy and have been using computers for many years, but mostly a user and not a geek when it comes to opening them up and making repairs. I do know how to install things like adapter card, ram, cd-dvd drives. I know what the inside look like and what most everything is I'm seeing inside.

So, any suggestions as to where to go beyond the bare bones? Things like what might not be compatible with Linux? I want at least 250 gig HD, 2 gig ram with upgrade possible, at least 17" wide screen. What processor would work best with Linux, AMD or intel?

Have not decided if I'll make it a double boot with windows or not, DOS and windows are the only OS I've any experience with. Advice?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

There's no difference, both work well.
    The HDD, RAM, and monitor are no problem either. As for the graphics card, you might want to use one fron nVidia - they have Linux drivers. :) Some of the newer ATI cards don't have Linux drivers that allow you to use 3D features (Compiz-Fusion).