Bunch of user Maildirs disappeared

Discussion in 'General' started by catdude, Nov 19, 2007.

1. catdude

catdude New Member

I had an issue over the weekend that I believe are related to a dangerous mail admin user.

One of my customers has 14 mail accounts. Their service has been running fine for several weeks. I got a call this morning that they were unable to make POP or IMAP connections to check their e-mail. When I went into their top-level user dir (/its/isp/hosted/web371/user) I saw a user directory for only one user. All other user dirs were gone. The user whose dir was still present is NOT the admin user.

I logged in to ISPConfig and saw that all 14 mail users were still defined in the database. I was able to get the user back on the air by restoring their user dirs from a backup copy.

The e-mail admin for this account says he spent a couple hours trying to configure a new mail account over the weekend.

I have several questions:
    1) Does anybody have any idea how this user could have wiped out all the mail accounts without removing the users from the database?
    2) Till, I know you've posted before how to get ISPConfig to recreate appropriate user directories with the appropriate permissions and ownerships by setting a status bit in the database. Could you supply that info again? This time I'll make note of it where I won't lose it.

I also have quetion related to this having to do with Postfix behavior, but it's on a different enough topic that I'll put it in another thread.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer