can access web pages from intranet, but not from internet

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tjd, Aug 18, 2006.

1. tjd

tjd New Member

Recent install of ISPConfig. All web sites show ok on DNS check, but browsers on remote machines reply with "Cannot access web server on www.XXXX.XXX. Server may be busy or unavailable". Or similar message.

No problem from machines on intranet.

The ip address for these sites is a fixed, external ip (or what BT calls a fixed external IP, but who knows).

Email works ok.

Oh yeah, one other thing ISPConfig firewall is down. So is local firewall.

Any ideas?

Thankx

tjd

2. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Do you see any requests in your apaches error / access log while trying to access from the internet?

So you have your http port forwarded from any router having the official address forwarded to your webserver?

3. tjd

tjd New Member

Ben, sorry unsure of your last sentence. Other work took me away from this problem for a while, but it's still there, and now I must fix it.

I have five static ip numbers provided by BT, I have three NICs in the server, one is carrying the ip address for bind, one for postfix/dovecot and one for web server.

There is another, separate DNS server which uses one of the remaining IP allocations.

All three IP addresses on the server in question are "dmz" by way of connection straight to bt's gateway server, which is in the same subnet as these.

I have two problems:

1. I can access websites created within ISPConfig on machines within the LAN, but I cannot access them from machines "outside", remote and/or on other networks, via the web.

2. If I activate the ISPConfig firewall, I cannot get mail on the client machines. Connections time out.

Any help would be appreciated.

T.

4. tjd

tjd New Member

Sorry, forgot to add. No sign of errors in the logs, but if I sniff port 80, I can see UDP packets, but no TCP packets coming through.

5. tjd

tjd New Member

OK. Web files fixed. Check network file in sysconfig and make sure peerdns is set to "no" on all cards, then hand enter the dns servers.

Then ensure that the dhcp client config sets routes correctly and all is well.

Firewall cutting off mail services still a problem.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you use POP3, open port 110. For IMAP, open port 143.
    POP3s: 993
    IMAPs: 995