Can folders bee shown as separate domains, for the world?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Ole Vangen, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Ole Vangen

Ole Vangen Member

Hi
    It was very hard to write a subject because I dont know what setup to use to achive what I want.
    I have a Debian server and I use Cloudflare as DNS

We make some software solutions from time to time that uses a common dbase. Now we have set up a domain or a subdomain when we made a "duplication" of the solution and then we check all url etc that they are ok. This is not a problem but just a bit time consuming.

Can we for instant set up a structure like domain.com/site1. domain.com/site2
    And by alias or some other solution the user will belive that domain.com/site1 and domain.com/site2 is two different domains? Domain x and Domain Y
    We naturally would like our solution to use the "internal" urls so we dont need to recode these.

It is very important that this structure is not revealed when using the system or for search engines.

I hope I manage to explain what I wanted to do.
    Thank you for taking your time.

Ole

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can use vhost alias domains in ISPConfig to map a domain to a subfolder. Vhost Alias domains can be enabled under System > Interface > Main config.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

From what I understand your software has a concept similar to WPMU and the solution posted by @till above should work for you.

You can see a sample of that at https://x-mans.sch.my and https://x-skda.sch.my where I use the same function with a single install to setup multiple domain forum with single database.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  4. till

@ahrasis: For WPMU, you would use just Alias domains, not vhost Alias domains, as WPMU is just a single cms and not split into different directories as the thread starter requested.

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It doesn't work that way on my ISPConfig nginx web server but vhost alias domain does, so all my alias with a single software like WPMU and ElkArte uses their own vhost. Believe me, I did try without vhost and it doesn't work.

6. Ole Vangen

Ole Vangen Member

THan you for the answer.
    SO when I use the Vhost alias. Just to clearify :D for the visitor that visits the website it will seems that the solution in the folder is on its own domain?

7. till

A vhsot subdomain is a subdomain that has it#s own vhost file and the root directory of that vhost points to the selected folder.