Can I add another web server with newer version of OS?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Taleman, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p5
    Current servers Debian 6.0.10 (Squeeze)
    Planned new server Debian 7.x (Wheezy)

I need to migrate user websites to newer versions of PHP. I plan to do this by adding a new server running Debian Wheezy and adding it as web server to ISPConfig cluster. Is this a good plan? I mean, the two web servers are then running different OS versions, is this a problem?

Is there a better way to migrate users to new version of PHP and other tools that come with the OS?

Sorry for posting again, but I asked this same question 19th November with no replies. I have meanwhile upgraded to latest ISPConfig.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats no problem, but I wont do it like this.

What I do is:

1) Upgrade debian on your server to Wheezy.
    2) If you need additional php versions (lower or higher then the one that ships with wheezy), then install these as aditional php versions in ispconfig. See Tutorials on ispconfig documentation page.

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Upgrading is difficult

I see. It's just that I am pretty sure upgrading the Squeeze ISPConfig host will lead to complicated problems that cause downtime to services. I was hoping I could migrate web sites one by one to another host and then move e-mail, DNS etc. one at a time.

I'll try to find a way to test the Squeeze -> Wheezy upgrade on a testing environment. This ISPConfig is single host. Have to think how I can check in a testing environment all the services are working properly after the upgrade.