Can I install a Subversion server on an ISPConfig box?

Discussion in 'General' started by antun, Jul 1, 2008.

1. antun

antun New Member

I have a server that has ISPConfig on it. Let's say the domain of that server is www.example.com. (i.e. to get to the control panel, you would go to https://www.example.com:81/).

Note that if you go to example.com:80, you see the default ISPConfig Shared IP message. (This IP address is shared. For access to the web site which you look for, enter its address instead of its IP.)

I need to have a subversion server installed store some of my own personal projects. I do not need individual sites hosted on that box to be subversion servers. I was planning to install it on my ISPConfig box, and not try to integrate it with ISPConfig at all. i.e. install using aptitude.

Is this a bad idea? Are there any reasons not to do this?

Thanks,

Antun

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can do this without problems. :)

3. rohitbanerjee

rohitbanerjee New Member

Impact of svn access and ISPConfig access settings

Did you encounter any problems after installing the SVN server in ISPConfig box? I'm particularly interested about svn user access rights with respect to Linux/ISPConfig user access rights and the folder structure change, if any files/folders are directly committed in the virtual folder paths through svn.

In a nutshell, I'm just wondering if user actions or access has any impact on ISPConfig actions or access.

If no, then this situation/environment can be a great advantage. The developers don't need to bother about ISPConfig setting as they might work on some IDE (say eclipse) integrated with svn user accounts for the web folder in ISPConfig itself, and commit their code changes directly.

This way there are 2 systems, one to control the developers access internally, and the other ISPConfig user settings itself to control the client access, externally.

Let me know what are your thoughts, Till and falko and the others.