Can I install ISP config with Nginx, MariaDB and HHVM ?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Julian, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Julian

Julian Member

Hello,
    I want to make a server to host couple of wordpress websites. What's the best configuration for this?
    I saw a tutorial with Nginx, MariaDB and HHVM. This configuration will work with ISP config?
    If not what other configuration will be the best?
    Thank you

2. Julian

Julian Member

anyone?
    What's the best configuration for wordpress sites?

Thank you

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

what do you have in mind by "best"? if they aren't super resource intensive, probably any configuration would work, so I'd think the "best" setup is one you would be most able to maintain/update/support.

I have had issue with hhvm myself on any site running the wordfence plugin, but it ran on another (very bare-bones, test install) site without issue. I'm liking php-fpm in ondemand mode, as it uses less processes/memory for less active sites (which is most of them); I suspect using dynamic mode may add a very slight performance boost for busier sites, but there are certainly other things (caching) which will do a lot more to improve performance.

4. Julian

Julian Member

Hi,
    It's very important to be able to maintain/update/support! But also I want to have a good speed, uses less processes/memory!
    On apache+mysql the load was going high and kill the server!
    On some hosts I see they have LiteSpeed and say it's the fastest!
    That's why I was asking what is the best config: be able to maintain/update/support, to have decent load on server and good speed!
    and be able to use .htaccess
    Thanks

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I doubt that it is faster than nginx. They might say it's the fastest as they want to sell you a hosting and they probably don't offer nginx.

If you want to have a fast and reliable server, then I recommend to use:

- Nginx
    - PHP 7

Ensure that you have opcache installed in php 7 and as you use wordpress, APCu might be useful as well.

Then ensure that you use a server with SSD and that you optimized the mysql settings for your environment.

In my opinion. HHVM is not really faster with WordPress than PHP 7 but it is less stable.

6. Julian

Julian Member

@till thank you very much. but the problem with Nginx is htaccess! how to make easy the config from htaccess?

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are ready made nginx rule recipes for all major cms systems available on the internet and you can insert custim nginx rules trough the nginx directives field in ispconfig.