can I retrieve mail passwords

Discussion in 'General' started by mahmodsob, Jul 21, 2021.

1. mahmodsob

mahmodsob New Member

i'm moving my server from ISPCONFIG to CPANEL, i want now to retrieve mail accounts from my server , so how can i read mailbox passwords as it's encrypted !

i know that it's located in table 'mail_user' but it's encryoted using crypt-salt sooooo i can't decrypt it

any help !

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I don't use cpanel, but I'd be very surprised if you can't simply copy the password hash to their database without needing to know the actual password; that's exactly what you typically do when moving from other systems to ISPConfig. If for some reason that's not possible, perhaps you could modify your pop3/imap server to record usernames with their plaintext passwords upon login or similar.

3. mahmodsob

mahmodsob New Member

No i can't access the Main CPANEL database for manual insertion , i have to retrieve the passwords and create mails manually :(

4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

well, that begs the question, why move to cpanel?
    if you, as the admin, can't directly access the main cpanel database, how are you going to troubleshoot/fix when anything goes wrong?
    much as we'd like to think our setups are perfect and will never fail, something will always end up going wrong.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can't retrieve cleartext passwords, ISPConfig stores passwords securely hashed as crypt-sha512 hashes in current versions.

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Performing password reset for all users may be another option.