can not login to SquirrelMail

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by cruz, Oct 29, 2007.

1. cruz

cruz New Member

I setup a new site. I added mail account. when I go to the squirrelmail log site and enter user and pass, it tells me ERROR Unknown user or password incorrect. Here is the mail log entry.
    HTML:
    Oct 28 16:23:21 server1 imapd: LOGIN FAILED, [email protected], ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Oct 28 16:23:26 server1 imapd: LOGOUT, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], rcvd=72, sent=332

The site is up and runnig. I have the A record pointing to my server. were I got the domain from is (go Dady). I have there nameservers for my nameservers. I was not sure about that.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Are you sure that the login name is the email address? Maybe it's just the user name?

3. cruz

cruz New Member

full email address I created for the site. I even deleted the emails and recreated them. It still will not work. The email for my other site works fine. I set the MX record to mail.mydomain.com. Is that correct? Would that be a problem? Thanks for all the help. you guys are GREAT
    P.S. can I use another mail service like maybe outlook express? if so what are the setting for configuring that?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  4. falko

Does mail.mydomain.com point to the correct server?

The settings (username, password) are exactly the same; for the SMTP- and POP3 server name you can use any IP address of FQDN that points to your server.

5. cruz

cruz New Member

I set the MX record Host to @. I set the mail.mysite.com in the goes to. I took out there generic entry. In c name I took out all but www and ftp. and they are set to @ as well. On the A record I Set @ and mail.mysite.com and set to 0. Dose that look OK? I have to wait for it to propagate to see what takes place.

6. falko

Can you post your rela domain name? Then I can check with dig.

7. cruz

cruz New Member

Is this what you were asking?

stocktongoodsamaritan.org IP is 76.255.160.38

8. falko

Code:
    mh1:~# dig mx stocktongoodsamaritan.org

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> mx stocktongoodsamaritan.org
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 26001
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;stocktongoodsamaritan.org.     IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    stocktongoodsamaritan.org. 3600 IN      MX      0 mail.stocktongoodsamaritan.org.

;; Query time: 350 msec
    ;; SERVER: 145.253.2.75#53(145.253.2.75)
    ;; WHEN: Thu Nov  1 19:17:07 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 64

mh1:~# dig  mail.stocktongoodsamaritan.org

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> mail.stocktongoodsamaritan.org
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 756
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

[B];; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mail.stocktongoodsamaritan.org.        IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    stocktongoodsamaritan.org. 10800 IN     SOA     ns55.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. 2007101900 28800 7200 604800 86400[/B]

;; Query time: 256 msec
    ;; SERVER: 213.191.92.84#53(213.191.92.84)
    ;; WHEN: Thu Nov  1 19:17:16 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 119

mh1:~#
    There's no A record for mail.stocktongoodsamaritan.org. Please create one.

9. cruz

cruz New Member

creating A record

Is this is created were I bought the domain or is it created in the ispconfig pannel? Were I bough my domin has in the A record . for host it has a @ and for points to they have my IP address. When I go to change it, they want me to enter my ip in and @ for host.

I went and added A record and entered mail for host and my server ip in the point to as they had in ther directions. It sais it will be turned into the domain name. Will that work?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  10. falko

Code:
    dig ns stocktongoodsamaritan.org

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> ns stocktongoodsamaritan.org
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 2156
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;stocktongoodsamaritan.org.     IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    stocktongoodsamaritan.org. 3600 IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns55.domaincontrol.com[/COLOR][/B].
    stocktongoodsamaritan.org. 3600 IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns56.domaincontrol.com[/COLOR][/B].

;; Query time: 246 msec
    ;; SERVER: 145.253.2.75#53(145.253.2.75)
    ;; WHEN: Fri Nov  2 18:11:00 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 98
    The authoritative nameservers for that domain are ns55 and ns56.domaincontrol.com (probably your domain registrar's nameservers?), so you must create the records there.

11. cruz

cruz New Member

You know when I setup the server, I regestered the domain for the box. (server1.mysite4webhosting.com) I am using there dns servers. ns4.no-ip.com ext. The domain I am setting up now is on godadys. Do I enter the ns4.no-ip.com and the rest of the dns entrys over at godady so it will point to my server? This is what they are telling me at godady. That is what my other domain is using when I do a dig on it.(apostolichearts.com). I was thinking they are managed by the same dns right? If I were to look online to understand how all this works, what would I search for to do some reading about recoreds and dns?

12. cruz

cruz New Member

I think I got it

I went and created mail.domain.com in the A record. I did it before, but it must not have registered. Thaks for the help.