Can we change the default ISPConfig 3 login name?

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by concept21, Jul 28, 2012.

1. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Dear ISPConfig 3 Authors,
    It seems that we cannot change the default ISPConfig 3 login name "admin".

It is a security weakness. Any chance to change this policy in the next release? :rolleyes:

2. fbartels

fbartels New Member

Maybe you cant rename it but you can anyways deactivate the admin user and create a new user under "System -> CP users" and assign admin rights to him.

Which is in my opionion way more secure, since the admin user has in most cases a default user id, so it is easier manipulated once someone has access to the mysql databse.

3. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Works very well. Thanks. :)

4. Yazool

Yazool New Member

Hi Concept21

I followed your instruction. I created a new user named newuser and deactivated the default "admin" user. I logged off and and logged back on as "newuser" . I tried to activate "admin" again but I received an error message. How can I return the ISPconfig back to its default? In other words, how can I reactivate "admin" again?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This cant work as the user you created is a client, thats the lowest user permission level. If you want tyour admin user to have a different name, go to System > CP users, edit the admin user which is listed there and change the name of the admin user, then press save.

6. NginxHolic

NginxHolic New Member

Thanks @till it works great.

7. scmeis1

scmeis1 New Member

Why go through all of that, just bring up the CPusers and rename admin to what ever and save. I did this months ago. Admin to me is a security risk.

8. concept21

concept21 Active Member

If you do this, your new administrator can be deleted by accident. :p
    This is the reason that I asked this question.
    User ID 0 and user name admin are a fundamental pair in ISPConfig Control Panel. If you change any of them, you will regret. :(

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The username of the admin user can be changed. Ispconfig cares only about the numerical uid of the euperadmin and not the name, the name is only used for 4he login process.