Cannot access server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ubutux, Nov 28, 2005.

1. ubutux

ubutux New Member

I have a (E-Smith) linux firewall gateway server running on my network at present . i want to get this new server up and running and transfer my sites etc to the new server and have a seperate firewall box protecting my network .I followed the ispconfig 5.10 breezy badger instructions and The install process went ok with no errors .I cant access ispconfig using the installed ip https://192.168.2.20:81 i get access denied . when i try http://192.168.2.20 i get a directory listing not the default apache page.Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Can you post the output of
    Code:
    iptables -L
    on your Ubuntu server?
    Does your firewall server allow requests on port 81?

3. ubutux

ubutux New Member

Im trying to setup and test ispconfig on a server that is on the internal network behind the firewall ,shouldnt i be able to connect directly to the server.
    thanks for help
    here is the output for iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

4. falko

Ok, the firewall on your Ubuntu system is down so that's no the problem.

Do you try to connect from within the same network or from outside?

5. ubutux

ubutux New Member

im trying to acess the ubuntu server from within the same network.

6. falko

Hm, I guess that either it's your desktop firewall that's blocking you, or ISPConfig didn't start on your Ubuntu server.

Try
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/ispconfig_server restart
    to start it (again).

7. ubutux

ubutux New Member

ispconfig was running and it restarted without error after the command.the ubuntu server connects to my internal network via a wireless nic ,which is working ok i can update the server etc using apt and i connect to the ubuntu server via ssh,so i gather this shouldnt be a problem .any other ideas that may be causing this challange i have .
    cheers

8. falko

Do you have this problem only on one workstation or on all? Did you try to disable your firewall for a short moment on your workstation in order to connect to port 81?

9. ubutux

ubutux New Member

im having the same problem from all workstations ,i tried after shutting down the personal firewalls as well ,still access denied .Any other ideas?
    thanks

10. falko

Please post the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap

11. ubutux

ubutux New Member

here is the output for netstat -tap

Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
    PID/Program name
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdo:mysql *:* LISTEN 6
    412/mysqld
    tcp 0 0 *:81 *:* LISTEN 6
    610/ispconfig_http
    tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:* LISTEN 6
    771/named
    tcp 0 0 localhost.locald:domain *:* LISTEN 6
    771/named
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdoma:953 *:* LISTEN 6
    771/named
    tcp 0 0 *:smtp *:* LISTEN 6
    741/master
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdoma:953 localhost.localdo:39170 TIME_WAIT -

tcp6 0 0 *:imaps *:* LISTEN 6
    322/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 *: pop3s *:* LISTEN 6
    357/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 *: pop3 *:* LISTEN 6
    337/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 *:imap2 *:* LISTEN 6
    297/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 *:www *:* LISTEN 6
    646/apache2
    tcp6 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN 6
    550/sshd
    tcp6 0 0 ip6-localhost:953 *:* LISTEN 6
    771/named
    tcp6 0 0 *:https *:* LISTEN 6
    646/apache2

12. falko

Hm, looks ok.
    And your workstations are really in the same network as your ISPConfig server? Did you try to disable the workstation firewall for a moment?

13. ubutux

ubutux New Member

yes they are all on the same network behind the e-smith firewall box .Yes i also tried with the personal firewalls on the workstations disabled . im using a wireless nics in the ubuntu server do you think this would cause any problems?

14. falko

To be honest, I have no idea what's wrong... :confused: :confused:

15. ubutux

ubutux New Member

well thanks for your help up till now ,if anyone else has an idea what the problem maybe i would appreciate your input.
    thankyou

16. falko

Well, I'm almost 100% sure it's a firewall issue because ISPConfig seems to be running...

17. ubutux

ubutux New Member

the e-smith server runs dns etc as well as the ubuntu server do you think that this could be causing a problem??.eventually i will run the ubuntu server behind a smoothwall box and remove the e-smith server all together ,but i obviously need to setup,test and then transfer all my data from the e-smith server .i have been using ubuntu linux for a while now but still class my knowledge as minimal ,this is why i used it for the new server,i have been contemplating changing to debian sarge for the server because of these issues im having,i have read about how stable deb is ,what is your opinion ? i know ubuntu is based on debian so i may still run into these issues after the swap.
    thanks

18. falko

I thought you had set up Ubuntu on a system of its own?!
    Now, is the Ubuntu something like a virtual machine on your firewall system?
    I think that could cause the problem...

These firewall issues have nothing to do with Ubuntu or Debian; you'll have the same problems after a change so you have to get this sorted before.

Try to set up ISPConfig on a machine of its own instead of on your firewall system.

19. ubutux

ubutux New Member

sorry falko i havnt explained it clearly enough ,the ubuntu server runs on a seperate system of its own so i have two seperate server systems running on the same network. what i meant was that both machines are running dns services ,which i wouldnt think would cause any problems.I think it must have something to do with the wireless router or wireless nic im using on the ubuntu server i will connect the ubuntu server to the wired part of my network and try again.
    thanks for your help

20. falko

Maybe it's a DNS issue. Have you tried to access ISPConfig using the system's IP address?