Cannot port forward sagem f@ast modem to home test server running virtualbox

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by adamjedgar, Jun 11, 2018.

1. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

Hi guys,
    I have
    Windows 10 (64bit) laptop with virtualbox (32bit) ubuntu server(32bit) wirelessly connected to sagem router.
    Laptop ip address on our netwrok is 10.0.0.2 and gateway is 10.0.0.138.
    When i go to tbe router it is detecting the virtualbox server running.
    ipconfig in windows command says that ethernet adapter virtualbox host only network ip address is 192.168.56.1

I cannot port forward tcp port 80 to the virtualbox ubuntu server...comes up with an invalid ip address error.

Also, if i run a wamp on the laptop directly and not use virtualbox (ie bitnami wamp), router port forwards to it and works no problem from internet.

Finally, when i first setup virtualbox, it refused to get internet access with adapter set to "bridged" mode. I had to change adapter mode to "nat'...then it got outgoing internet access immediately.

so my confusion is this...do i need to simply set the virtual box adapter to "bridged" and port forward only to the laptop ip address from sagem router/modem or, am i doing something else wrong?

I feel that perhaps i need to also port forward the "nat" in virtualbox using the current setup? Is this correct?

I need a bit of an outline on this setup...its been a while since i have done it at home.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Run traceroute on the ubuntu server to see the chain of routers to the outside world. Then set port forwarding to all routers in that chain.