Cannot resolve internal hostnames

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by winux, Feb 28, 2008.

1. winux

winux New Member

I have a Linux server running DHCP server and DNS server. I configured the DHCP server to send out the name-server address of the server. I can successfully browse the internet from the clients, so I know that external DNS resolution is working fine. I also see by the DHCP leases that the hostname is being sent by the clients.

However, I cannot ping any of the Linux boxes from any machine by their hostname.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

2. chipsafts

chipsafts New Member

can you ping the other Linux boxes from the DNS server?

can the Linux boxes ping the clients?

do the clients have any firewall settings regarding ping?

3. winux

winux New Member

I can ping by IP address across all the machines. No client can ping anything by name internally (though external DNS resolutions works fine). No firewalls.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Do the name servers resolve the internal hostnames correctly? You can check it like this:
    Code:
    dig @[I]1.2.3.4[/I] internal.hostname.tld
    Please replace 1.2.3.4 with the IP addresses of your name servers.

5. chipsafts

chipsafts New Member

wonder if the DNS is setup for external and internal access.
    then could be that the internals are not setup or incorrect while the external is fine.

6. brainz

brainz Member

My question would be is what router are you using ???

The reason why i ask this is most Home routers now have taken out what they call NAT loopback...

So if this is the case i would contact the manufacturer of the router and findout what pervious version of the router firmware the NAT Loopback was still included and if the routers fireware can be flashed back to the version that contained NAT loopback...

The reason i say this is i have the same problem... So i purchased a HP procurve 7102dl router and i am having problems configuring it to where i am back to the way our system worked.

regards
    brainz